• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club Licenses An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Slave Elf Bride Light Novels

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
This series is so fluffy, I love it to death. I’ve been waiting so long for this one, can’t wait to preorder!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Please do not needlessly drag the staff based on hypothetical outrage-LL

@LegitPancake

Can you tell us what to expect. Mainly what kind of story, based on the blurb and what you said, it sounds like a romance, but is it fantasy, or more D&D.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
Please do not needlessly drag the staff based on hypothetical outrage-LL

I'm dying over here. Laughing

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Reading the synopsis, I'm not seeing what the dilemma is.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

@LegitPancake

Can you tell us what to expect. Mainly what kind of story, based on the blurb and what you said, it sounds like a romance, but is it fantasy, or more D&D.

It’s a very cute novel series that is mostly fantasy (aka not isekai, not D&D). It’s similar to the beginning of Ancient Magus Bride where the MC blindly spends his entire fortune on buying a girl in a slave auction, but in this, he has lived a miserable life and had overthrown another sorcerer and takes Nephy to live with him in a mansion filled with torture devices left by the previous sorcerer. The MC falls in love at first sight with the heroine (so no harem, although one other girl has a small crush on him), and he would never harm her, in fact he would protect her with his own life. The story continues as they try to make life work together and it’s super cute, although it’s not conflict free.
For those worried about the slavery, spoiler[Zagan sets Nephy free and no longer considers her a slave over halfway through the first volume, and he kicks her out as he is afraid his enemies may try to harm her. At the end of the book, they agree to live together again as teacher and apprentice in magic, but for some reason Nephy asks to keep wearing the slave collar, which is my only complaint with the series.]
Overall, it can get a bit violent, but other than that, it is super cute and I think anyone would enjoy it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

It is the S word in the title.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
This sounds like a The Ancient Magus' Bride knock-off done more from the male perspective, so I'll probably give it a try despite my dislike for the e-book format. That title, though. . . yeesh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Some people don't like the idea of people buying other people. If done tastefully, I don't mind it so much. But even in Magus Bride it just gave me Stockholm Syndrome vibes the entire time. I expect I would feel the same way about this. Even if they express mutual feelings, the fact that the girl was BOUGHT will always linger overhead and make me question if it's Stockholm Syndrome or genuine feelings.
Jonni421

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't really affect the story much, except for the beginning and the end of the first volume. spoiler[ It was more of a love of first sight kinda thing for him, and he buys her immediately, but he doesn't do anything to her, he's actually sometimes too shy to talk to her that its kinda annoyed some readers. But overall its a really good book.]
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

That part doesn't seem to bother him, though. Indeed it just sounds like it's there because slave girl is the new step-sister when it comes to taboo contrivances to get two strangers in a "romantic" pairing.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
This kind of titles are either hit or major miss for me, but this one doesn't sound too bad. If it came out in print, I might give it a shot.

But high time someone licenses a similar title where a female protagonist buys a male slave. Sugar Apple Fairytale light novels coming when?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow that title.
I mean I firmly believe that its wrong to judge a book by its cover/title but this one clearly isn't doing it any favours.
From the comments it seems like its not nearly as bad as the title suggests but I suppose with all the... tasteless LN series that like to abuse such a premise it just set off alarms in my head.
If its on J-Novel club thats great, while I abhor digital-only releases I had to get a subscription to read some titles so being able to read more variety without having to pay extra is always welcome.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

If its on J-Novel club thats great, while I abhor digital-only releases I had to get a subscription to read some titles so being able to read more variety without having to pay extra is always welcome.

This is a perfect example on why our subscription is a good thing: It gets people to try series they might not otherwise have even sampled and find more stuff to like.
Guspaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The whole slave thing in this novel is really just used to set up the initial emotional underpinnings of the relationship, and the whole thing stops being a thing super early in the series (as said, part way through the first volume).
Rosiero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
You guys are entirely too sensitive. If anything, the offense is that stories keep using a slave premise to lure in people who might find a sub/dom relationship interesting only for it to immediately be chucked out of the window and turn pretty generic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2