• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mother Collects Shonen Jump for 7 Years to Honor Son Who Died in Quake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
good thing she gonna finish collecting them this year. Confused
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not crying, you're crying. Sad
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It's very sad and she needs to see a good psychiatrist. I understand not throwing away dead boy' stuff, but buying new magazines like he was still alive and putting some Jump in his coffin...it's kinda not normal
Wtv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
It's very sad and she needs to see a good psychiatrist. I understand not throwing away dead boy' stuff, but buying new magazines like he was still alive and putting some Jump in his coffin...it's kinda not normal

That's what I thought. Sure, might be beautiful, but this doesn't look healthy at all. She's not able to move on, and that's bad for her. Sure, it must be hard losing a son, but the healthy thing is being able to accept it.
Things like: "Before the earthquake and tsunami disaster, Tanno threw away some of Kōta's old manga. She wondered if her son actually wanted to reread the manga, so she could no longer throw them out." makes it seem like she really needs professional help.

I don't see any issued with putting one Jump on his coffin, though. It was just when he died, and he liked it, so it's a symbolic gesture that makes sense.
Szaer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

It's actually very common to give some sort of offerings to people who have died whether its fruits, incense, going to temple for a few years after a person has died. Not sure if you should be criticizing what people do for their dead loved ones.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I have never had or lost a child, so that is the context from which I say this:

I feel very sad for the mother, and I hope this has helped her cope. I also find the dedication touching. And maybe some habits (of caring for and thinking about your child) is hard to change. I think she’s great.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Many series have ended between the earthquake and the current day, and only three pre-2011 series are still running in the present (or two and half, since HunterXHunter keeps getting breaks). All the other series all started in 2012 or later, so I guess most of the series the boy read have already been finished since the last seven years. Many series that were part of his life don't continue anymore, assuming he read more than just One Piece, Gintama and HxH (also assuming he read at least one of those).
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
As a parent I can understand, loosing a child is an unthinkable burden. The magazines are as much for her as they would be for her son.

Mark Gosdin
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Everyone is different, and there's no "one size fits all" way to grieve for the loss of a loved one. Even seeing a therapist may not take away the lingering sorrow of loosing a child, which is also compounded with the trauma of loosing her home in the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Also, in East Asian cultures it's not uncommon to have a small alter for deceased loved ones and to give regular offers such as food as a way of remembering and honoring them. This lady is going about memorializing her son in a more unique way than most people. I don't think she has any delusion that her child is gone by continuing to purchase the magazines, but she's given herself seven years to come to terms with his passing and it seems by finishing the collection this year, she's finally approaching the end of her grieving process.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Putting little mementos of a person's life in their casket is incredibly common. Have you really never been to a funeral before?

As for continuing to buy Jump, it's clearly her small way of keeping her son's memory alive in a tangible way. It's not like it's something that's harming her. Let the woman mourn in peace.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Well when you become a parent and lose your child you be sure to let us know what "normal" is and how to properly deal with that loss. Until then I suggest you stop with the completely insensitive comments. Thanks.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I noticed she also bought a PlayStation Vita. That came out in December 2011. She must've felt he really wanted one....

I respect her way of coping but I do question if it is truly healthy for her to do this. Either way, I wish her the best and hope she can find peace.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
This makes me want to cry.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
As someone who is literally turning 20 tomorrow and personally knows people who have lost their child at a young age, I think what she is doing is rather sweet. Sure, one could question the fact that she’s been doing this for years, but claiming that she has a mental health disturbance and needs to seek help is honestly kind of insensitive (I get that wasn’t the intention, it just feels like that). For all we know, she has coped with what happened, but still just tries to honor her child. Take it from me: it’s impossible to fully move one from the death of your son or daughter.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't have kids, but my sister lost a child and I know she was planning on making an altar with some of her toys. I don't think she did, but, I don't find this mother's way of doing things to be wrong or showing that she needs help. It seems to me like she knows what she's doing and she even has a plan of when she will stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2