• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sirius the Jaeger (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote

Sirius the Jaeger (TV)

Genres: action, supernatural
Themes: vampires, werewolves

Plot Summary: The Imperial Capital, 1930. A strange group of people carrying musical instrument cases land at Tokyo station. They are called the "Jaegers", who came to hunt vampires. Among them, is a young man with striking serenity and an unusual aura. His name is Yuliy, a werewolf whose home village was destroyed by vampires. Yuliy and the Jaegers engage in deadly battle over a mysterious holy arc only known as "The Arc of Sirius".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I think this was pretty good. It didn't stray far from its premise and we got violence already from this episode.

There's the existence of supernatural entities like werewolves ad they seem to be a threat to humanity. The first episode introduced some of the main characters and I kinda like MC already. It didn't take long for him to get into conflict with a vampire in disguise in an alleyway.

The action was smooth definitely setting the bar high for this show as expected from P.A. Works too. Nice episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:32 am Reply with quote
Supernatural action series pitting a group of human hunters with a werewolf protagonist against an organised group of vampires up to no good. Not the most original idea ever, but the action scenes should satisfy anyone looking for blood and gore this season.

First episode so too early to gauge anything, but the cast and setting is more or less set. Only thing remaining is to see how far the hunters go in their pursuit of the vampires.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote

The animator have one quarter to finish the series, so the pacing has to be quick to resolve everything whilst still being able to tell a story and do some character development. So far, it seems everything is still moving forward without viewers feeling lost in this original work.

The mysterious marksman with the rifle turns out to be Yuuri's older brother, yet Yuuri is considered the last survivor of the Sirius clan which the vampires annihilated. Looking at next week's trailer, there might be some light shone on this aspect. Considering what the ED animation is like, it looks like the elder brother's role in this work isn't going to be a simple one.

All of the victims of the terrorist group were scholars or scientists working on artificial organs. I can only assume the good doctor this week was also targeted because he'd finished the artificial heart he was working on. Too early to tell what the vampires and the terrorist group are after, but it's probably connected to the grand plan the master vampire at the start of the series was bragging about.

I'm surprised the Manchurian spy suspects the hunter group to be in cahoots with the terrorists everyone is after. Maybe he'll change his mind after the interrogation, but an unfortunate side effect is the pair of them are detained indefinitely until they can sort themselves out.

Interesting to see vampires in this series cannot regenerate dismembered limbs. The operation to graft the bladed leg to last week's vampire wasn't a painless one either. Regardless, the action scenes involving vampire combat are really stylish; I especially like the bit with Yuuri kicking the blade in mid-air to skewer the ex-human through the neck. More quality action scenes like this for the rest of the work and it's easy to see plot and character development taking a back seat to the action set pieces.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
So is this "Arc of Sirius" some geometric rune, or do they mean "Ark"?

I hope that girl has something more to do in this series than disobey orders and get in the way of things. Then again, her dojo sensei is as much to blame for his blabbermouth.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So is this "Arc of Sirius" some geometric rune, or do they mean "Ark"?

I hope that girl has something more to do in this series than disobey orders and get in the way of things. Then again, her dojo sensei is as much to blame for his blabbermouth.

Original word: 箱. Which usually means just a box. I don't know how box became "ark" when this is supposed to be purely original and with no background material to research into. Not to mention the person uttering those words was close to dying and couldn't really enunciate properly.

Early days, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any ark/arc/whatever the translators come up with for dying speeches. Maybe there is, but it's episode 2 into an original series and it's probably too early jumping to conclusions now.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote

Pacing slows down a bit, but the flashback scenes involving Yuri, his family and the rest of the village he used to reside in also talk about the importance of the 箱 and how the residents have temporarily lost its location. It's clear the vampires are after it, but haven't found it up to now. No idea what the mechanic behind the surviving werewolves being capable of drawing it upon them is about, but it should be made clearer over the next few episodes.

Although the series is original, some of the ideas behind it aren't. Vampires, werewolves and now Frankenstein have been thrown into the mix. Interesting how Yuri's older brother managed to form a blood pact with his assailants, but he seems to have the best of both worlds in terms of combat capability.

The girl's infatuation with Yuri is a bit of a distraction at present, but what role she plays to the end (if she makes it that far) might be important depending on how the story goes. She doesn't really add much to the overall plot as yet.

The spy from Manchuria has cottoned on to the presence of the Jaegers' rival in the capital. Whether or not it helps or hinders the Jaegers from here on out is debatable, since the major in charge seems to work at his own pace and has no intention of letting any faction have free reign on his watch. Interestingly he didn't really bat an eyelid when briefed on the girl's testimony, but he's either dismissed it out of hand or has factored it in with his ongoing investigation. Again, I'm not sure if the role he plays in this franchise is going to be more than just a nuisance to the competing supernatural factions.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote

This week is much like the last one, a bit more exposition with everything building up to the next action set piece due next week.

The world building is done in a way that doesn't feel like an indiscriminate info dump. Viewers learn a little more about the two categories of vampires and how the vampire world itself isn't a unified monolith. Kirchner's superior is rebelling against the fatalism of the elder specimens holed up in Moscow, but Kirchner himself isn't completely sold on why the legacy of the werewolf clan is so important to the future prosperity of the vampires.

It looks like the human killers used as paid mercenaries by the vampires have had their time in the sun and are being discarded. Obviously the Hyakuchou aren't taking it too well, but they've picked the wrong target since the Company they were at odds with is really split between the public human face and the underground vampire aspect. Kirchner and co. probably have bigger fish to fry at present so they're either unaware or don't care what their former subordinates are planning.

With that final scene, everything is set up for next week. With an episode title like that, it looks like the prototype weapon which unleashed hell at the base of the mountain is going to get another field test...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote

As an action set-piece, this one is a little disappointing since it's mostly stalemates using firearms. The series is at its best when it's portraying hand-to-hand combat between different adversaries, so the battle between the Weapon and the two siblings is clearly the best part of the action sequences.

I'm not going to ask how the mad scientist stayed safe when the carriage exploded, but as soon as he lost control of his creation his part in the episode (although not necessarily the series) ended. The monster's demise spared the commanding officer from facing the worst-case scenario of the train reaching the imperial capital unharmed; but the clean-up job with the derailed train is going to be just as troublesome to finish.

I wonder what kind of vampire Mikhail is. His eyes can change colour seemingly at will and he's not overly bothered about the sunlight. Yet he wasn't human to begin with and in the previous week Royals were supposed to be the progenitors of the vampire race. He's even referred to as the "favourite" of the vampire searching for the treasure, so perhaps a special case who isn't completely under the leash of Kershner. He's definitely lost his previous innate abilities as a werewolf, but he's certainly stronger than when Yuli last saw him living.

Looks like Yuli's admirer is going to be tagging along as a combat member rather than a lovestruck mascot. If she's capable of finishing off a Vampire Slave with an Iaijutsu technique then she's qualified to tag along for the ride. I'm still not sure whether she's going to be much more than a stereotypical love interest or if she's going to be something more than that.

Mikhail seems to know what the great treasure of the Werewolves really is, but his hints are too cryptic for now and Yuli was too young when his clan was destroyed to know much more than he already does. Regardless, it looks like the series is heading towards a race with more revelations thrown in along the way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
I could do without Little Miss Getintheway altogether, even if she did put her training to use to dispatch a vampire. If she's going to be Action Girl, then yay, be that, but mixing that with "Oh my god, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll risk my life just to be near Yuliy! Embarassed" is not working. At all.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote

A breather in the first half before the action set-piece resumes in the second. Not much character exposition, although viewers now know why Phillip is always needling Yuliy every moment he has. Dorothea might need another future episode to flesh out her background more, Fallon doesn't have anything on him apart from being a member of the Shipping Company.

Kerschner is certainly taking his orders seriously. I wasn't sure what the mass of coffins early in the episode was about, but to gather so many in such a short time shows the depth of resources the vampires possess against the outnumbered and outgunned Jaegers.

The trailer episode didn't choose its snapshots well. More of the battle and less of the aftermath would have been my choice. It's almost a given Mikhail got away while Kerschner's fate may be decided permanently next episode if that last spoken line is any indication. If Kyouko loses her family and wealth after the attack, she'll probably end up tagging along. Still have no idea what role she'll play by the end, but her infatuation with Yuliy doesn't mesh well with the tone of the series.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote

They looked finished, but the unexpected intervention turns the tables. Perfect timing as well; Yuliy had zero chance against both his brother and Kerschner at once on a narrow staircase. The professor's surprising connection with the village, the box and Yuliy is a useful trigger for the werewolf blood to completely take over. Good fight scene between Kerschner and berserk Yuliy, a pity the climax is a cliched one with the overconfident Kerschner fatally overestimating the stopping power of his weapon.

The rest of the episode simply ties up loose ends with the imperial military now having a player in the game. Major Iba is also going on the wild goose chase, but his ability to sniff out the truth should mean he'll tail Yuliy who appears to be making the journey up north on his own with the rest of his party ostensibly heading back to London.

I'm hoping that's the last I've seen of Kyouko now that the stage has switched to a different locale. It'll take considerable script wrangling to get the lovestruck teenager to smuggle herself to the frozen north and I'd rather not see it happen.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Evgraf has found the ancient sanctuary where the box is reputedly sealed, but no matter how powerful a vampire he is there is no way he can claim what he wants unless the last living member of the Sirius clan is present. He sent Mikhail out as a test, but it seems the hot spring only parts to the true heir so only method left is to kidnap or coerce Yuliy to enter the sanctuary whilst living.

Annoyingly Ryouko is still in this story. She says she's heading to London, but why is she on the same train as Major Iba who's been ordered to the Sakhalin Islands to search for the Sirius legacy?

The new character Bishop is hard to read at the moment. He claims he's the last of the Jaegers stationed in Sakhalin, but Yuliy says he smells the same scent from Bishop as he does from vampires. Scent alone can't reveal the truth, but he has no choice but to trust Bishop for now or he will lose whatever faint trail there still remains as to the location of the box.

The peculiar vampire twins are Yuliy's opponents for next week. Flight, limited numbers of projectile weapons and vampire claws look to be the full extent of their arsenal. 2 on 1 is tough, but if Bishop can shake off the three slaves stuck to his car he might be able to turn the scales to the Jaeger's favour. The trailer indicates the old man with the knowledge stays alive, so it's all down to what kind of conclusion the battle ended up with.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
Did the twins not get the message to not turn Yuliy into a vampire? If they do, then I guess the ark is forever safe, end of series.

If Bishop is a vamp, then maybe they were sent to make him look good as a Jaeger and convince Yuliy to retrieve the ark.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure what Yuliy found disconcerting about the eyes which stopped him from finishing one off, but the twins didn't seem to press the attack when Bishop turned up to help. If Bishop really is a sleeper agent as speculated by others, it would stand to reason. That said, Bishop might be telling the truth when he claimed the twins were waiting for Yuliy to show up so that they could snatch him for Evgraf to make use of.

What happened to the vampire thrall who lost control and tried to kill Mikhail? The target himself seemed fairly bewildered, while the thrall's Royal surprisingly failed to make her absolute command stick. Evgraf doesn't seem too bothered about the development as he's seen it before, but his comment about a previous victim of infection is too vague and might be elaborated on further down the line.

So the old man is the captain the Japanese Empire sent to Sakhalin years ago to find the legacy. Aside from moving the plot forward by giving Yuliy and others the location, I don't think he's making another appearance since his part has been played. If the professor and the others travel to Sakhalin pursuing Yuliy, he might show up once more.

Ryouko and Iba are now tagging along but have to play catch up. Probably not a bad thing Yuliy and Bishop went ahead first considering the welcome party they've just bumped into. The mad scientist doesn't have the big Frankenstein, but he's mass produced smaller variants with flamethrowers and has a tank to boot. Not sure how the pair of them are going to get themselves out of that, but that's next week's action set-piece taken care of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2