• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Denials of (fan)Service

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to know for sure about Omega Labyrinth, but the timing definitely doesn't sit right. It's not like the content was unknown, so it seems awfully late, especially when the decision also applies to territories where it was at least approved by the relevant ratings boards. It seems like a knee-jerk reaction on Sony's part.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ys VIII is hitting Switch this week. I'm tempted to double-dip since I like the thought of portable Ys VIII, but I'm waiting to see if there are any tech issues before I buy.

According to this recent review, there seems to be a few: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Ys_VIII_Lacrimosa_of_Dana/index3.html
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's hard to know for sure about Omega Labyrinth, but the timing definitely doesn't sit right. It's not like the content was unknown, so it seems awfully late, especially when the decision also applies to territories where it was at least approved by the relevant ratings boards. It seems like a knee-jerk reaction on Sony's part.

Totally agreed. Such a dick move from Sony. With how much money was spent in localising it, and with how small Pqube is, it honestly could have bankrupted them. Luckily they have had some success recently with other games and have a few others coming out but whats with Sony lately? They've turned into the bad guy on almost every gaming front as of late. I just hope PQube does a kickstarter or something to help bring the game to Steam or Switch.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Needless to say, the case was looking pretty bad for Bluehole. The whole thing reeked of the time CAPCOM tried to sue Data East over Fighter's History copying Street Fighter II's “look and feel.”

If you want a much better and stupider example of a company filing a lawsuit and losing horribly.

Look at the Silicon Knights-Epic games cock up.

Quote:
What's even the point of playing X5 if I can't fight Duff McWhalen?

Trying and failing to beat Shadow Devil? having the RNG potentially lock you into the bad ending, watching Zero die no matter what you do?Having X6 not only invalidate the game's good ending but retconning Zero's death anyway?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Omega Labyrinth story is strange. The biggest part of it is if it indeed was Sony that stepped in. In which case that's a very big deal for everyone to be concerned about. Valve just had a similar scenario where they were forced to reevaluate and came down on the side of the consumer. I assume it was a well-meaning employee that made a mistake in their scenario. If Sony indeed implement new guidelines for Western releases, and those are not corrected by upper management in time (or is even endorsed by), then that's the biggest abandon ship message you could give to any anime/JRPG fan. As a result the PC will swallow the market segment further, which in Playstation's case probably is the most loyal costumer base.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
"PUBG runs in Unreal Engine… and you're suing the company that makes Unreal Engine."
REALLY didn't think that one through, did ya?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Omega Labyrinth Z not getting sold in Australia is expected and that is fairly common for the UK. What is surprising is Sony stepping in at the last moment to completely cancel the western release of the game. What makes this really unfortunate is that Sony has effectively indicated that it will cancel ecchi games based on the possibility of negative press. Japanese game developers will have to take that into account when deciding on whether to make future ecchi games for game consoles. Due to the length of game development it probably won't make a difference in the overall number of ecchi games released this year.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...but it seems like their most recent attempt to bring out a boob game has fallen abreast of troubles that cannot be overcome.

I see what you did there...

Anyway, although this game isn't my kind of thing, I agree that Sony really mishandled this.

As for Ys VIII, I've already picked up the Switch version. My only platform choices were that or PC, and it sounds like the latter's technical issues are much worse (still). Hopefully the patches NIS has in the works will fix things a bit. And hopefully the next Ys game will be handled by XSEED/Marvelous.

DmonHiro wrote:
"PUBG runs in Unreal Engine… and you're suing the company that makes Unreal Engine."

Not only that, but Tencent has ownership stakes in both Epic and PUBG Corp. It was a mess of a situation all around Laughing
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Omega Labyrinth Z not getting sold in Australia is expected and that is fairly common for the UK.

Actually, the UK hasn't banned a game since Manhunt 2 under the BBFC, which is why this ban was such a surprise. I think this is the first ban since the UK switched completely over to the PEGI system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Actually, the UK hasn't banned a game since Manhunt 2 under the BBFC, which is why this ban was such a surprise. I think this is the first ban since the UK switched completely over to the PEGI system.
You are right and in the last decade a flat out ban for a video game is very rare for the UK.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
As no one else will mention it, I prefer Meteos over Lumines myself, as Meteos has a much greater variety of player options and a much more robust competitive scene (for falling blocks puzzle games anyway). A lot more personality too. And the single best use of Ravel's Bolero I've ever encountered in a video game. Nevertheless, I'll be picking up Lumines Remastered on the Switch and cross my fingers that they'll do something with Meteos some time in the near future.

Meteos looks like it'd fit right in to the mobile landscape, but if they do that, its multiplayer is crippled, and for me, I feel multiplayer is a major facet of a Meteos game.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
Well, the Omega Labyrinth story is strange. The biggest part of it is if it indeed was Sony that stepped in. In which case that's a very big deal for everyone to be concerned about. Valve just had a similar scenario where they were forced to reevaluate and came down on the side of the consumer. I assume it was a well-meaning employee that made a mistake in their scenario. If Sony indeed implement new guidelines for Western releases, and those are not corrected by upper management in time (or is even endorsed by), then that's the biggest abandon ship message you could give to any anime/JRPG fan. As a result the PC will swallow the market segment further, which in Playstation's case probably is the most loyal costumer base.

Yeah, it's very strange. And why now all of sudden, too. There are games like this already on the system so this seems pointless. Also, especially weird that they'd wait until the end of development, if it's indeed them, when I'd imagine the game was submitted or tested or whatever a couple of times. Like you said, hopefully the right upper managers see Valve's recent change in response and they follow that and let these games through again like they should and like I think they'd been doing until this.

R. Kasahara wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Not only that, but Tencent has ownership stakes in both Epic and PUBG Corp. It was a mess of a situation all around Laughing

Yeah, lol. The Morgan Freeman "Good luck" gif from Batman would have been totally appropriate.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sulfy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

As for Ys VIII, I've already picked up the Switch version. My only platform choices were that or PC, and it sounds like the latter's technical issues are much worse (still). Hopefully the patches NIS has in the works will fix things a bit. And hopefully the next Ys game will be handled by XSEED/Marvelous.

Are you serious? I heard there were issues at launch (despite being delayed last year) but to hear they still haven't brought it up to snuff is just ridiculous. Personally going to be skipping Ys 8 as I'm not the biggest Ys fan (Trails is more my thing) and there are other Switch games to purchase. What a shame Ys 8 got such shoddy treatment though.

Last edited by Sulfy on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
THE GUNS N ROSES BOSS NAMES WON'T BE IN MEGAMAN X5 IN THE MEGAMAN X COLLECTION

Thank God. I don't know if it was legal issues or what, but I'm happy we get their real names now. Remember kids, just say no to meme translations.

Sucks about Omega Labyrinth Z, but to be honest the fact the game was supposed to come out here uncensored seemed like a dream in the first place. Turns out it was. Now they just have to do an Asia English release and all the fanboys will import it like they did DOAX3.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Omega Labyrinth Z not getting sold in Australia is expected and that is fairly common for the UK. What is surprising is Sony stepping in at the last moment to completely cancel the western release of the game. What makes this really unfortunate is that Sony has effectively indicated that it will cancel ecchi games based on the possibility of negative press.

With the fact that there's 4 Senran Kagura games on Sony branded platforms with a 5 coming down the pike I really don't see this happening simply because one out of the many others they've released got blocked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2