• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goblin Slayer Anime's Video Reveals October Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Yuichirou Umehara hospitalized? Did he already finish his voice work for Goblin Slayer, or have they just not announced his replacement yet?
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Wasn't Yuichirou Umehara hospitalized? Did he already finish his voice work for Goblin Slayer, or have they just not announced his replacement yet?

It’s probably more like they haven’t done much in the way of recording yet. October is still almost three months off, so there’s no need to replace him when there’s a chance he could be back to work by then. I’m definitely praying for that to be the case.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Most likely indeed
Blankslate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
Ugh it looks like they're playing up the edginess. While the first few chapters of the manga definitely felt like there was graphic violence and rape just for the sake of it, I felt after like chapter 2 or 3 the thematic reasoning behind it was solidified and it didn't feel like "watch these people suffer" edgelord crap like the tone of this trailer felt like.

Edit: And Jesus wtf did they do to "Cow Girl?"
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Can't wait, no idea how this will turn out but I love so many shows that have Hideyuki Kurata and Yousuke Kuroda on the writing duties.

Haven't read any of the source stuff yet, but High Elf Archer still has a great design whenever I see it.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Woke Weeb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
That preview is going to get a "Yikes!" from me.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Ugh it looks like they're playing up the edginess. While the first few chapters of the manga definitely felt like there was graphic violence and rape just for the sake of it, I felt after like chapter 2 or 3 the thematic reasoning behind it was solidified and it didn't feel like "watch these people suffer" edgelord crap like the tone of this trailer felt like.

What do you mean? Almost all of these scenes, excluding those with future teammates, look like their pulled from episode 1 of the anime (or chapter 1 of the manga).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Preview made me think we were getting a classic fantasy Dungeons&Dragons-inspired series.

But then Cow Girl appeared. So it's another harem male power fantasy I take it?
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Preview made me think we were getting a classic fantasy Dungeons&Dragons-inspired series.

Read the manga, it's more than just harem story. It's about GOING TO YOUR DREAMS (really, it's more dark fantasy than Berserk now)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:

I definitely picked up on the violence aspect from this promo, but then I saw boobs. Not that they are a bad thing, but it kinda threw me off.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It definitely has aspects of that (almost every female character likes the main male character and the character is oblivious about it), but it's not the main focus.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
The promo video does a good job of balancing the message that it will be a gritty show but not a grimdark show. It briefly shows that this will not be a clean fantasy game world but something closer to Attack on Titan in which the combat is brutal and messy.

Blankslate wrote:
I think that the author wanted to make it clear in the first light novel that the goblins are cruel and petty creatures. Also the manga is a lot more horrible in what it portrays than the light novels.
Vadara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:

The whole damn light novel is an edgy thinly-veiled "hordes of vile foreigne--I mean, goblins are raping and murdering our women" right-wing fantasy so the anime might as well lean into that.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
RIP AND TEAR
Gonna love fantasy Doomguy.

Edit: For anyone concerned about the rape, that's pretty much just at the beginning. If you can make it through the first episode, you'll be good. Still loads of violence, of course.

Vadara wrote:

The whole damn light novel is an edgy thinly-veiled "hordes of vile foreigne--I mean, goblins are raping and murdering our women" right-wing fantasy so the anime might as well lean into that.

What on earth are you on about? There is literally (and I do mean literally) nothing that would lead to that conclusion. I know that these kinds of ultra-lib witch hunts are pretty popular nowadays, but you've really got nothing to go on here, bub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1