• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Acquires Live-Action Jin-Roh Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
How high did The Red Spectacles set the bar in this respect, out of passing interest?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Was it any good?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Kim Jee-woon is a pretty solid director,so I expect something decent.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
is it just me or is netflix just trying to buy up every and any anime streaming license and keeping them in a strangle hold
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film opened in South Korea and Japan on July 25.

you mean will debut in theaters next week, right?
I wonder if there are plans to show it in theaters in the US later
gohmifune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
How high did The Red Spectacles set the bar in this respect, out of passing interest?

I remember liking it and Stray Dog, but it was different. I haven't seen them since they came out in English. Oshii as a director is his own thing, but I think it is safe to say his live-action and animation are pretty similar.

If your are interested, but not a collector, I'd wait on finding free/cheap, or a Blu-Ray release. I don't really think it is necessarily worth the ~40ish dollars on Amazon.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
This articles appears on the front page twice.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
is it just me or is netflix just trying to buy up every and any anime streaming license and keeping them in a strangle hold

It’s just you. They acquire far fewer anime series each year than other streaming sites. Not to mention, this is a live action feature.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

It’s just you. They acquire far fewer anime series each year than other streaming sites. Not to mention, this is a live action feature.
hmm guess so I don't really pay attention to netflix or hulu cause personally I don't like either service plus it's gotta be irritating as hell to start watching something and get a notice the next day saying "oh this title and this title is being taken down from our streaming list" and your only part way into it
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

hmm guess so I don't really pay attention to netflix or hulu cause personally I don't like either service plus it's gotta be irritating as hell to start watching something and get a notice the next day saying "oh this title and this title is being taken down from our streaming list" and your only part way into it

Well, that happens with all streaming services. Hulu is one of the rare ones that actually gives you the expiration date far in advance, so you have plenty of notice. Netflix usually gives you 30 days notice.
vincent_vincent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
gohmifune wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

I remember liking it and Stray Dog, but it was different. I haven't seen them since they came out in English. Oshii as a director is his own thing, but I think it is safe to say his live-action and animation are pretty similar.

If your are interested, but not a collector, I'd wait on finding free/cheap, or a Blu-Ray release. I don't really think it is necessarily worth the ~40ish dollars on Amazon.

I've watched and liked both The Red Spectacles and Stray Dogs, Deep and great soundtrack, maybe its not that deep to some but Oshi keeping tight lips over the years left things to interpretation (wish Anno did the same with EVA, it looks more sillier everytime he open his mouth).

I like and i wish to one day be able to listen and understand the Radio Drama: Waiting for The Red Spectacles.

I wish there was a place where we could discuss this Saga.
It is very Very underrated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1