• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SNK Heroines Fighting Game Adds Gender-Swapped Terry Bogard

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Good.

Also, anyone have a timeline when acrylic figures became a thing? Seems like I'm suddenly seeing those everywhere in the last year or so.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess Terry's biceps are kept in her bra when she's not using them.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
That's why SNK is completely demoralized. To support or suggest this kind of antics is completely insane.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Also, anyone have a timeline when acrylic figures became a thing? Seems like I'm suddenly seeing those everywhere in the last year or so.

Actually, acrylic figures have been longer than a year. I've noticed it 2-3 years ago at Animate section in Kinokuniya bookstore.

Acrylic figure is like poor man's answer to actual 3D figurines, I guess? 3D figurine is pretty expensive due to various labor cost involved and as for acrylic figure, factory just prints the flat image on acrylic panel and stamp out the shape around the image.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Seems to match what I'm seeing on AmiAmi listings too, going back that far, but it seems they've really exploded recently. I dunno if I'm not hanging out in the right places, because it's been weird seeing these take over listings and it's like nobody is talking about it...in English, anyway...
IanC wrote:
Ronie Peter wrote:
That's why SNK is completely demoralized. To support or suggest this kind of antics is completely insane.

A silly and fun fighting game is insane? Right…

I'm not quite sure if it's what they are referring to, but, "third party Japanese game developer resorts to blatant wankbait to draw eyeballs, quite probably out of desperation, covering for otherwise mediocre products [varies]" has been a thing for a number of years at this point. Yes, moreso than in the 90's or 00's even. I am a diehard SNK fan who will be buried with my Neo Geo Pocket Color, but I have to admit, this definitely has that look to it. We're far from the days of SNK pumping out amazing looking games year after year.

Frankly I was getting increasingly unimpressed with the past few trailers, but...like...Lady Terry? Yes please. Yes, Lady Terry. I will accept Lady Terry. I like Lady Terry.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
So...is this canon or something? Is there a story behind this? The first half of the video seems to suggest something really DID happen to Terry and turned him into a girl.

Also, the pin set has nine of them silhouetted out with a "?" on top of them. Sounds like the roster is far from complete.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So...is this canon or something? Is there a story behind this? The first half of the video seems to suggest something really DID happen to Terry and turned him into a girl.

Uhhh, he ran into Demitri from Darkstalkers?
AnimeFan188

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Uhhh, he ran into Demitri from Darkstalkers?

Dimitri's Midnight Bliss strikes again:

http://darkstalkers.wikia.com/wiki/Midnight_Bliss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZCqQLWznk

I wonder if we'll see more genderbent characters in the future?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Mr. Maximov was something that came to mind myself (so I know what Midnight Bliss is). Of course, he's a Capcom character (but it would still be hilarious if he made it into the game...and, keeping with the theme, accidentally did Midnight Bliss on himself.)

But yeah, it does bring up more...interesting new possibilities.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
It's an all female spin-off that they decided to have some silly fun with.

Besides if Johnny Millenium, one of the biggest Terry Bogard fans around, is okay with it then so am i
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote
I do not know why they had to go with this. Terry is a cool guy but I feel like the spot could have been given to a female fighter who deserves it more than him. Someone who has been overlooked for years or is a guest fighter. It is a shame because this game is supposed to be an all-stars game featuring female fighters but it will be remembered for this 63'd Terry stunt instead of them and the fanservice.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
I do not know why they had to go with this. Terry is a cool guy but I feel like the spot could have been given to a female fighter who deserves it more than him. Someone who has been overlooked for years or is a guest fighter. It is a shame because this game is supposed to be an all-stars game featuring female fighters but it will be remembered for this 63'd Terry stunt instead of them and the fanservice.

Well, just because she's in this one doesn't mean some other anticipated characters won't.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
It's an all female spin-off that they decided to have some silly fun with.

Besides if Johnny Millenium, one of the biggest Terry Bogard fans around, is okay with it then so am i

Yeah, I think it's cool and the whole game is fun fan service, hopefully it plays well, can't wait, it looks good.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
In other SNK-related news, Male Terry has been teased as DLC in Fighting EX Layer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwhoqZs6vF4

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, just because she's in this one doesn't mean some other anticipated characters won't.

Yeah, I expect this to get similar treatment to King of Fighters XIV where characters that don't make it in will eventually show up as part of yearly DLC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1