• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These students of CAPCOM history, a field cruelly unrecognized in academia, also will note the titles missing from this collection: The Punisher, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, the original Tenchi no Kurau (aka Dynasty Wars) and what may be the best of all CAPCOM brawlers: Alien vs. Predator. Licenses prevented their inclusion, of course, and at least we know that this entire bundle won't vanish when CAPCOM loses that xenomorph contract.

It is a little odd that we didn't get both Tenchi wo Kurau games, but I guess Capcom decided to just go with the superior entry, since we didn't get any of the other Final Fight games, either (also, FF2 & 3 were console-only, so they don't count here, though FF3 is one of my personal all-time favorite beat'em ups). Still, Warriors of Fate is technically a licensed title, so once Capcom's relationship with Moto Kikaku once again ends, this bundle does run the risk of being taken down... Maybe.

Quote:
It's too bad CAPCOM couldn't sneak Cyberbots or the never-ported Red Earth (aka WarZard) into the set. But those are fighting games, aren't they?

That's why I've continually stated since this bundle got surprise announced that, should it do well (it is currently the #2 best-selling digital-only game on the Nintendo eShop, so that's promising), Capcom should make a "Fighting Bundle" & give us the remaining fighting game stragglers that wouldn't make sense to release on their own today: Slam Masters/Muscle Bomber (all three of them), Cyberbots, Red Earth/Warzard, Mega Man: The Power Battle (& Fighters), & Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix/Pocket Fighter.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I came for the article but I stayed for the alt attribute text! A blast from the past in more ways than one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
This is a sweet collection that will be at home on my Steam account. Loved these "Belt Action" brawlers then, still love them now.

Although, the complaints about repetition are honestly a moot point. Personally speaking from as an arcade hopper, I and nobody I ever played these games with then cared about the repetition. It's the action that resulted from that repetition that mattered and we loved every moment of it. Besides, repetition is how arcade games worked back then. You wouldn't have had much of a game if there wasn't.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
]Final Fight's shadow stretches longer than one might think. It's now just another piece of the Street Fighter series, and yet it defined the arcade of 1989. It stole Double Dragon's premise of battling thugs to save a woman in a red dress (a premise pilfered, of course, from Streets of Fire) and then added a now-familiar choice among the heroes who set out to dismantle the Mad Gear gang. Mayor Mike Haggar is strong but slow, ninja-like Guy is fast but weaker, and Cody is well-balanced but...boring.

Not boring to me. Not everything you say is gospel, Todd. Rolling Eyes
toddc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
You got me: I hate Cody. He's a smug jerkwad, and I think that Jessica, Poison, and the good citizens of Metro City all can do much better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1