• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hypnosis Mic Voice Actor Rap Project's 2nd Live Event Rocks the House

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
This is so popular... I keep seeing fanart and cosplay of it everywhere.

I'm sort of interested in the long-haired one and the pink-haired one, and Soma Saito's character. His song that's like... something about liars, I think? It was playing in public a whole bunch of places for a while.

Their singles keep getting really high on the charts, too.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
It's popular and yet I just can't figure out why - frankly a lot of these guys are just not good rappers, and the few times I tried to listen to the songs I ended up stopping due to second-hand embarrassment. (To make it somehow worse, the Japanese hiphop scene is a thing that exists and it's actually pretty great with lots of talent going around.) I imagine most of the audience is more into the seiyuu and the characters and stories, rather than the actual songs themselves, but still...
gure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
lol, honestly, this sounds so bad... but it's funny to watch Hayami Sho hang out with all the young'uns, lmao.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
It's weird because one day this thing just suddenly became incredibly popular. I don't remember there being that much fanfare around it when it was first announced.

It reminds me of Touken Ranbu... One day nothing, the next day it's all you hear about.
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
It's popular and yet I just can't figure out why - frankly a lot of these guys are just not good rappers, and the few times I tried to listen to the songs I ended up stopping due to second-hand embarrassment. (To make it somehow worse, the Japanese hiphop scene is a thing that exists and it's actually pretty great with lots of talent going around.) I imagine most of the audience is more into the seiyuu and the characters and stories, rather than the actual songs themselves, but still...

Some of the songs are actually pretty good. The character Dice has one of the best solos in the franchise so far lmao. But yeah, as far as i know only ONE of the characters is played by an actual former rapper and the rest are just normal seiyuu doing their best. And ironically tje only character played by a former rapper isn't that popular lmao. Some are worse than others ( I admit as a fan of the project ) When the voting for which team should win in a rap battle went down, the more popular team won despite the lead rapper on their side being one of the worst rappers in the whole project. So yeah naturally most fans aren't in it for the rap so much as they're in it for the characters, ships, dynamics and seiyuu.

They picked Seiyuu becaus e of popularity, not by talent lmao

Last edited by CardamonPastel on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
It's weird because one day this thing just suddenly became incredibly popular. I don't remember there being that much fanfare around it when it was first announced.

It reminds me of Touken Ranbu... One day nothing, the next day it's all you hear about.

Touken Ranbu was super popular when it first came out since it waa basically marketed as male kancolle, and kancolle was popular at the time too. It took a bit longer to get popular in the west, though.
HK16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
I love how Sho's not moving while the others are jumping up and stuff. lol Also, I like how Sho is wearing black clothes with a white coat. Does that remind you of anyone? For me it does. Very Happy
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
1st time I saw Hypnosis Mic's PV in Youtube some months ago, there was a bunch of seiyuus attempting to rap and theres this 1 guy who forgot his line so he did some smooth adlibs, I thought it was pretty dope. Honestly RAP wasn't even a thing in Japan. I never expected it to blow up just look at how popular it is now lol! The tweets are insane I thought no all-male cast will ever be on Par with Touken Ranbu's rep.

Although I always feel the 1st featured song is superior than the anthem version even with its studio version lol.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Honestly RAP wasn't even a thing in Japan. I never expected it to blow up just look at how popular it is now lol!

What? Rap and hiphop has been a thing in Japan since at least the 80s, there are some really great bands and performers. And it's not some minor thing either. Hell, you might have heard some of them in anime (RHYMESTER did the opening of the Ayakashi horror anime). And let's not even mention Amuro Namie, who is not a rapper of course but she did r&b and hiphop, including rap, and she was a really big name (still is she's just retired now).

iamtooawesome wrote:
tweets are insane I thought no all-male cast will ever be on Par with Touken Ranbu's rep.

I can't really agree with that either...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1