• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Laws of the Universe: Part 1 Stays at #1, Nanoha Detonation Opens at #6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
LOL!
A Happy Science film is beating Nanoha, I can't believe this! Laughing

If there is ever another Nanoha movie and well... a certain L Ron Hubbard religion themed movie comes out at the same time, I hope the latter tops it, too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
Man, this happy science stuff makes me think of scientology here in america. Its nonsense, but its laws encourage a huge self-esteem boost, so alot of insecure actors flock to it instead of to a professional councilor who will tell them what they need to here, and in turn they promote and fund scientology quite often. My guess is most of happy sciences followers are people like that.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
How bonkers... is the competition just that bad?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
There has to be a larger context for the cult's film's success. Perhaps cult members are attending multiple screenings to increase it's rankings? Or maybe the movie is actually...good, from a non-cult influenced standpoint? Or these last two weeks had bad theater turnout in general?

(I'm betting on the former, though)
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
There has to be a larger context for the cult's film's success. Perhaps cult members are attending multiple screenings to increase it's rankings? Or maybe the movie is actually...good, from a non-cult influenced standpoint? Or these last two weeks had bad theater turnout in general?

(I'm betting on the former, though)

Popular.
Seiyuu.

There are a lot of big-name seiyuu in it, and they're advertising it so much based on that.

I'm... actually sort of worried that they might end up recruiting a lot of hardcore anime fans...

I actually was approached by members of some other cult, they like, tried to make friends with me and talk about anime, and then they broke into, "Can I tell you about the most powerful Buddha in Japan? I prayed to him and I got perfect grades, and won great tickets to a bunch of seiyuu events!" The way some of these fans get... I feel like a lot of them would join a cult on a promise like that.

. . . . . . which makes me sort of wonder if any of the seiyuu are in it. It might actually be like scientology is in Hollywood. Or not. We know so little about seiyuu's personal lives, which is generally nice, but it cuts both ways, I guess...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Wait after someone told me that 'LoU:1" was not that great, how the hell is it still at #1? LOL!!!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
I'm... actually sort of worried that they might end up recruiting a lot of hardcore anime fans...

I actually was approached by members of some other cult, they like, tried to make friends with me and talk about anime, and then they broke into, "Can I tell you about the most powerful Buddha in Japan? I prayed to him and I got perfect grades, and won great tickets to a bunch of seiyuu events!" The way some of these fans get... I feel like a lot of them would join a cult on a promise like that.

Surely the... interesting creed of this particular group will pose an obstacle to gaining actual converts. We have learned that many otaku will happily support morally compromised causes, though getting them to partake in outright acts of faith remains an unverified venture.
Perhaps further incentives are planned to this end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HK16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see 4D Conan make it to #9. People are loving that 4D.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Wait, a Happy Science film made money. Why? More importantly, has this happened before?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1