• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokimeki Memorial's Shiori Lives on as a Bombergirl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiori Fujisaki has shown her true colors: She is a Yandere after all Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Makes you wonder what your waifu is really thinking. Konami should release this game on PS4 or Switch to atone for the abysmal treatment given to gamers all over the world.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I've always liked Shiori, especially her portrayal in the original Tokimemo OVA. But I guess they really haven't managed to modernize her design.

That Tokimemo bomb thing was apparently more of an unexpected design consequence rather than actual feature though. It happened only in the first game.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It was an actual feature in the first game. Player's experience with it depended on what your Tokimeki Memorial experience was.

Back in the day when ROMs first started floating around - likely how most western audiences first experienced TokiMemo - most versions of the ROM had the stat values for the main character maxed out, so when you would start the ROM and play the game you would immediately meet the characters you weren't necessarily supposed to meet. Eventually the hacked ROM would begin to force you to try and round-robin everyone, which was next to impossible, effectively forcing the bomb aspect way early. On the other hand if you played a "clean" ROM - strangely enough often more difficult to find - or a physical version of the game then you likely had a slightly better experience since the bomb feature didn't come into play until some months date wise into the game, and if played effectively you didn't necessarily have to deal with it at all until forced greetings started occurring to progress the story.

Still though it was a touted feature since it was unique for these sort of visual novels but ultimately had the ability to hinder the player, especially if you saved a game and didn't keep up with who you agreed to date on what day. I'm sure there were plenty of moments of frustration since just missing one date would really hinder the player's progress.

My two physical experiences with the game were on Super Famicon and Sega Saturn, the later often being cited as the more desirable version - from the time - as it was the version that was fully-voiced. My understanding of Japanese was very limited back then so I had to assemble my own guides using menu and selection translations online. It was difficult to play that way but I did manage to go one full play thru of the Sega Saturn version, which I enjoyed more than Super Famicom for the voice acting alone.

I'm glad to see Konami still tries to give TokiMemo some love. I still wish they would have offered some sort of western release of SOMETHING in the series, and preferably the earlier titles. Konami owes a lot to TokiMemo. Plus Hideo Kojima was one of the producers for a few of the titles (there are various homages to the Metal Gear series in the later TokiMemo games).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1