• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: City of Topeka Renamed 'ToPikachu' to Celebrate Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Eevee! Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Weird to see my home town on ANN!

IIRC we were actually the “official launching point” for Pokémon in the US, in part because Kansas is the center of the US, but also because of the name pun. A friend told me that it was a huge event, that a bunch of elementary schools went on field trips to see the launch and they were dropping (throwing?) stuffed Pikachu in the crowd. Unfortunately my school didn’t participate, and I didn’t even know about our Pokémon-related history until long after I became a fan.

But I’m going to be there bright and early tomorrow to make up for it! The zoo is also doing their annual “Boo at the Zoo”, so I imagine it will be a madhouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather they'd rename it to ToEevee.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:01 am Reply with quote
Is it like the Japanese event where you receive a squeeze Pokeball for sowing up and playing the game? I stopped in Akiba and they were demo-ing it last weekend. Probably the most low key Pokémon event I’ve ever seen.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
How about my Serbia's captial to be named Belbasaur, an acronyom name of Belgrade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1