• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Run with the Wind Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
And so the Crunchyroll X Sentai bromance starts anew. Good thing too coz Sentai were only licensing 4 shows at most over the last couple of Seasons.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
for a total run of 217.9 km (about 135.4 miles).
I wonder if they will use miles in the dub, or stick to the Japanese measurements.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
This makes me wonder if Crunchyroll will try to set up a deal with HIDIVE like they did with Funimation: subs on Crunchy, dub exclusive on HD.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This makes me wonder if Crunchyroll will try to set up a deal with HIDIVE like they did with Funimation: subs on Crunchy, dub exclusive on HD.

The problem is that Sentai does not have the capacity to do 15+ simuldubs per season. But a CR-Sentai/HIDIVE partnership seems possible; I just expect Crunchyroll to hire several companies to do dubs.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The piping has been changed and the spigot turned on, so Sentai will be getting a flood of licenses. This will be interesting to watch.

Mark Gosdin
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Funi has been doing simuldubs each season since the Fall 2014 season. Sentai Filmworks started their version of simuldubbing called "dubcast", which also is applied to shows given an Eng. dub 1 or 2 seasons after the Japanese premier date. As SF is still new to this approach, I think 3-4 dubcast shows a season until they get the established experience will help. To me, "establish experience" at least 1 year of experience of doing such dubs.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

If it followed the same vein as the CR/FUNI deal and included distribution that would be fantastic. Sentai's premium releases have been outclassing FUNi for some time, so I'd much rather a release from them.

Last edited by Swiftyy on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Devalues hidive immensely if they were to enter into some sort of streaming deal TBH, why subscribe in the first place, especially considering how few titles they pick up, and how the titles they do get dont even carry weight enough to really get people to rush out and subscribe anyway, compared to heroaca, and tokyo ghoul, and shingeki.

Run with the wind and Tsurune, haven't exactly lit up the airwaves like Free! or Yuri on Ice did or even Haikyuu!! (which, by the way, were still waiting for season 3 discs Sentai)
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Devalues hidive immensely if they were to enter into some sort of streaming deal TBH, why subscribe in the first place, especially considering how few titles they pick up, and how the titles they do get dont even carry weight enough to really get people to rush out and subscribe anyway, compared to heroaca, and tokyo ghoul, and shingeki.

Run with the wind and Tsurune, haven't exactly lit up the airwaves like Free! or Yuri on Ice did or even Haikyuu!! (which, by the way, were still waiting for season 3 discs Sentai)

They announced a deal between HIDIVE and VRV recently. But even before this, titles have already been shared between Sentai and Crunchyroll for a while. One difference from CR with HIDIVE is that they also post home video versions in addition to the simulcast versions, similar to Funimation.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

They announced a deal between HIDIVE and VRV recently. But even before this, titles have already been shared between Sentai and Crunchyroll for a while. One difference from CR with HIDIVE is that they also post home video versions in addition to the simulcast versions, similar to Funimation.

they have, but thereve also been hidive exclusive shows that most people didn't care to watch, the same as when sentai had shows on amazon, yet still had shows that were exclusive to their own streaming service, for example, Rin-ne s3 (which they did at least put on hulu after the season, but was never, and still isnt on CR). Honestly, sentai is kind of mess with how they do some of their series.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Funi has been doing simuldubs each season since the Fall 2014 season. Sentai Filmworks started their version of simuldubbing called "dubcast", which also is applied to shows given an Eng. dub 1 or 2 seasons after the Japanese premier date. As SF is still new to this approach, I think 3-4 dubcast shows a season until they get the established experience will help. To me, "establish experience" at least 1 year of experience of doing such dubs.
Fall 2014? Space Dandy premiered in Winter 2014.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

I believe the reason they haven't released Haikyu! sesaon 3 on Blu-Ray yet is because I believe that Crunchyroll holds the master license for sesaon 3.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

If it followed the same vein as the CR/FUNI deal and included distribution that would be fantastic. Sentai's premium releases have been outclassing FUNi for some time, so I'd much rather a release from them.
This would be great if it also included distribution

Yeah their CEs are great, but their dubs are still very meh. I'd much rather have a bare bones release with a good dub, than a shiny LE with a bad one.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

The problem is that Sentai does not have the capacity to do 15+ simuldubs per season. But a CR-Sentai/HIDIVE partnership seems possible; I just expect Crunchyroll to hire several companies to do dubs.
Will Funimation even be able to do 15 simuldubs per season now that they are on their own?
lycopene

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Eh, makes sense. I know CR makes a healthy profit but thats still a large number of shows they get every season and a full license to everything just seems ridiculously expensive even for them. So yeah, of course Sentai is gonna take advantage of that and sneak in and get something
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2