Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Pierrot Reveals Crime Action Anime Hero Mask Exclusively for Netflix


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dian Z



Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 287
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
Oh, pierrot, looks like it'll have some well-animated action scenes.
Loving the trailer, it's like shot, drink, drive, shot drink, drive, shot, drink, call, shot, call. Got me thirsty
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Hellyeah! this is the kind of news I like to wake up to ... wow didn't see this coming at all... and woah, bless Netflix, really. For those of us sick and tired of the moe overdose these kind of series are Godsent. Can't freaking wait!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3059
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
ANN screwed up, here is the REAL plot
Quote:
Hero Mask follows a group of crime fighters with severe OCD, can they catch the criminal while still taking constant sips or lifting their phones up? Find out this December, only on Netflix


Very happy at the lack of CG cars, sometimes it is the small things that matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 358
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote
Good. I'm hoping that this will be successful and that Netflix will make more of these.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HoboSoup



Joined: 06 Aug 2017
Posts: 182
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Shocked Shocked Hellyeah! this is the kind of news I like to wake up to ... wow didn't see this coming at all... and woah, bless Netflix, really. For those of us sick and tired of the moe overdose these kind of series are Godsent. Can't freaking wait!


I swear the people most obsessed with moe are the very people that whine about it all the time. Oh you don't want to watch moe shows? You could watch currently:

Golden Kamuy
Banana Fish
Tsurune
Karakuri Circus
Goblin Slayer
Hinomaru Zumou
Feel the wind
JoJo

Just to name some of the current series you could be watching that aren't moe. Or I guess you could just keeping whining about a style of show that doesn't appeal to you, because that's not a complete waste of your time or anything...

There's a diverse amount of anime out there for everyone, personally I dabble in a bit of everything so I'll never understand the people so obsessed with hating moe that they completely over look everything they could be watching. Then there's the people that think moe shouldn't exist because only shows that they like should be made, self centered nonsense is what that is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 526
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
I really hope this is not going to be yet another Netflix anime that's like it was created by ticking off items on a checklist titled "What Makes Anime Cool!" compiled by some American dude who stopped watching anime in like 2005 and even before that only watched the most US-mainstream shows. Let's face it 99% of Netflix's original anime have been exactly like that (the remaining 1% is Devilman Crybaby which I strongly suspect was just a fluke, Netflix probably just wanted an Edgy Violent And Sexy Anime, Totally For Grownups!!!) and even some of the ones that they partly financed and have exclusive streaming rights to, like Sirius the Jaeger. I'm really sick of them, and it's kind of irritating how Netflix is sinking all that money into creating anime and instead of creating something interesting they're just making boring, predictable cliché-fests with outdated, boring tropes.

donhumberto wrote:
For those of us sick and tired of the moe overdose these kind of series are Godsent. Can't freaking wait!

You do realize that there's non-moe shows every single season, right? I'm always a bit nonplussed at people complaining about "moe overdose" as if there was nothing else to watch... I really don't care for moe and cutiepie anime girls in general (and looks like I've run out of damns to give about cutiepie high-school boys too, looking at you, KyoAni), and yet I still find shows to watch in every season.

Oops, looks like I've been ninja'd. Very Happy Anyway,

HoboSoup wrote:
Oh you don't want to watch moe shows? You could watch currently:

Golden Kamuy
Banana Fish
Tsurune
Karakuri Circus
Goblin Slayer
Hinomaru Zumou
Feel the wind
JoJo

Double Decker!!! Seriously, more people should be watching Double Decker, it's so much fun and deserves so much more attention.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoshuaC



Joined: 23 Oct 2018
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
This PV looks better animated than all of Tokyo Ghoul; re Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:49 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
Shocked Shocked Hellyeah! this is the kind of news I like to wake up to ... wow didn't see this coming at all... and woah, bless Netflix, really. For those of us sick and tired of the moe overdose these kind of series are Godsent. Can't freaking wait!


I swear the people most obsessed with moe are the very people that whine about it all the time. Oh you don't want to watch moe shows? You could watch currently:

Golden Kamuy
Banana Fish
Tsurune
Karakuri Circus
Goblin Slayer
Hinomaru Zumou
Feel the wind
JoJo

Just to name some of the current series you could be watching that aren't moe. Or I guess you could just keeping whining about a style of show that doesn't appeal to you, because that's not a complete waste of your time or anything...

There's a diverse amount of anime out there for everyone, personally I dabble in a bit of everything so I'll never understand the people so obsessed with hating moe that they completely over look everything they could be watching. Then there's the people that think moe shouldn't exist because only shows that they like should be made, self centered nonsense is what that is.

I realize about the existence of those shows, thankyouverymuch. Thing is, for every Banana Fish we get 40+ shows about cute girls doing whatever (sometimes literally, as a series that was announced a couple of days ago suggests). A ton of shows these days get greenlit just because they include cute girls in the cast (I mean, just have a look at the last 30+ new shows that have been announced recently, for example). So yeah, sorry for getting excited about finding a new series that, at long last, doesn't include neither cute girls nor pretty boys (which I find equally insufferable, although they are way less prevalent).
And, oh boy, Goblin Slayer girls are Moe as Hell... just sayin' (Double Decker is awesome, though, we really need more show like that too)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarutoClown93



Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
Shocked Shocked Hellyeah! this is the kind of news I like to wake up to ... wow didn't see this coming at all... and woah, bless Netflix, really. For those of us sick and tired of the moe overdose these kind of series are Godsent. Can't freaking wait!


I swear the people most obsessed with moe are the very people that whine about it all the time. Oh you don't want to watch moe shows? You could watch currently:

Golden Kamuy
Banana Fish
Tsurune
Karakuri Circus
Goblin Slayer
Hinomaru Zumou
Feel the wind
JoJo

Just to name some of the current series you could be watching that aren't moe. Or I guess you could just keeping whining about a style of show that doesn't appeal to you, because that's not a complete waste of your time or anything...

There's a diverse amount of anime out there for everyone, personally I dabble in a bit of everything so I'll never understand the people so obsessed with hating moe that they completely over look everything they could be watching. Then there's the people that think moe shouldn't exist because only shows that they like should be made, self centered nonsense is what that is.


What about Ingress?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HoboSoup



Joined: 06 Aug 2017
Posts: 182
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:13 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Double Decker!!! Seriously, more people should be watching Double Decker, it's so much fun and deserves so much more attention.


Ah it's late sorry, but yeah I meant to mention Double Decker as well. The series is fun.
~ Edit: By the way, thank you. I appreciate someone having some sanity and realizing that hey, it's fine to not like everything out there. But you still find something to enjoy every season and that's what you focus on instead of the negative. I really wish anime communities had more people like your self.

TarutoClown93 wrote:
What about Ingress?


I mean Ingress is...something alright.

donhumberto wrote:
I realize about the existence of those shows, thankyouverymuch. Thing is, for every Banana Fish we get 40+ shows about cute girls doing whatever (sometimes literally, as a series that was announced a couple of days ago suggests). A ton of shows these days get greenlit just because they include cute girls in the cast (I mean, just have a look at the last 30+ new shows that have been announced recently, for example). So yeah, sorry for getting excited about finding a new series that, at long last, doesn't include neither cute girls nor pretty boys (which I find equally insufferable, although they are way less prevalent).
And, oh boy, Goblin Slayer girls are Moe as Hell... just sayin' (Double Decker is awesome, though, we really need more show like that too)


All I'm reading is that you're attempting to use hyperbole to prove your point. Which your main point seems to be "there's shows that exist which don't appeal to me". The entirety of entertainment has things that won't appeal to you, stop focusing on them so much and just enjoy the things you like. Also People always have such vague definitions of moe, if Goblin Slayer is a moe anime to you because of "sexy" girls I have no idea what to tell you. You seem to have a specific complaint about art styles because they don't appeal to you, it's fine to have preferences but you also need to remember anime are made for a Japanese audience and we're just along for the ride.

It's great that you're excited for this new series, but it's also bizarre to me that you're using that excitement to act condescending and holier than thou to fans of moe. You act as if shows that you define as "moe" don't have any merit or right to exist and they are simply green lighted simply because "cute girls". You completely ignore the writing and the efforts of the creator, you shallowly brush series aside a possibly good story simply because of very simple factors. You brush aside the efforts of the animators, the music creators, the voice acting talent. Passion of fans. I don't have problem with you not liking moe, but I certainly have a problem if you act like people shouldn't be just as passionate and excited about moe anime as you are about the anime that you like.


Last edited by HoboSoup on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
^^^Awesome series too Wink (ooops, I was referring to Ingress, BTW)
Of course, there are still a lot of good series being made that don't include moe girls (I'm also enjoying the hell out of Tonegawa and Baki, which are as far as moe as anything could possibly be)... I just wish we had a more balanced line-up every season, that's all (I wouldn't complain if we just had 2-3 moe shows per season, which is pretty much what we get from other genres)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HoboSoup



Joined: 06 Aug 2017
Posts: 182
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
^^^Awesome series too Wink (ooops, I was referring to Ingress, BTW)
Of course, there are still a lot of good series being made that don't include moe girls (I'm also enjoying the hell out of Tonegawa and Baki, which are as far as moe as anything could possibly be)... I just wish we had a more balanced line-up every season, that's all (I wouldn't complain if we just had 2-3 moe shows per season, which is pretty much what we get from other genres)


At this point you're using hyperbole to blow proportions way out of the water, either that or you're just labeling almost everything as moe that you don't like. You still seem to think that "moe is bad because I don't like it". So there's really no point to conversing with you since you're just filled with this linear hate and obsession with something you could simply avoid watching.

I'll just lastly note I had a talk with a friend recently, how absurd it is that people use ratios in these kind of arguments. "I like 1/50 movies released this year, which means there's a problem with movies!". No it just means you have specific and particular tastes and there are people with varying different opinions that like the things you don't like and we're all just 1 consumer making up a vastly larger body of numbers that supports entertainment.

Edit: End of the day, lets just tip our hats and agree to disagree. I'm going to bed, sorry if the mods wake up and see a disturbance in the force. I'm simply passionate and just found this perspective to be frustrating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3059
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
^^^Awesome series too Wink (ooops, I was referring to Ingress, BTW)
Of course, there are still a lot of good series being made that don't include moe girls (I'm also enjoying the hell out of Tonegawa and Baki, which are as far as moe as anything could possibly be)... I just wish we had a more balanced line-up every season, that's all (I wouldn't complain if we just had 2-3 moe shows per season, which is pretty much what we get from other genres)
From all the posts I've seen from you, there seems to be an open biased towards character designs. I'm not implying anything as extreme as you loving a badly made Anime just because the characters designs weren't Moe. But you would enjoy a by the numbers crime drama with more realistic looking characters over the same show with more creativity put in it with Moe, or more likely would not give it the time of day and just throw it in with the pile.

I'm not asking you to like them, or even give them a try. Just not to bunch shows like Dragon Pilot and Flip Flappers together with a slice of live girls do nothing under this Moe genre you invented. There is even a good chunk of them where only the main cast is Moe, and the rest are probably the designs you like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 526
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
But you would enjoy a by the numbers crime drama with more realistic looking characters over the same show with more creativity put in it with Moe, or more likely would not give it the time of day and just throw it in with the pile.

I'm not asking you to like them, or even give them a try. Just not to bunch shows like Dragon Pilot and Flip Flappers together with a slice of live girls do nothing under this Moe genre you invented. There is even a good chunk of them where only the main cast is Moe, and the rest are probably the designs you like.

Actually, this is one point where I kind of understand where donhumberto is coming from. Personally, at this point I'm sick and tired of cute anime girls - not necessarily cute girls period, I like cute girls), but just that "cute anime girl" thing where the girls are designed to be cute in a certain infantilized, often subtly sexualized, designed-to-please-predominantly-male-viewers kind of way that rubs me the wrong way.* Moe, if you please, although my irritation doesn't only cover the currently trendy designs that tend to be called "moe" around here.

And so if a show is about drama about cute anime girls, comedy with cute anime girls, cute anime girls doing quirky things, cute anime girls doing dark & edgy things, I'll most likely skip it because 1. having a story with these designs and the vocal performances that tend to go with them, just ruin any sort of immersion or entertainment for me, and 2. having watched anime/read manga for well over two decades now I usually know what I can expect from these, and even when people tell me "no, this one is different!" - let's just say I've never been surprised.

Which is not to say I think that people who like these are wrong or that these shows are bad, or that they shouldn't exist or whatever. To each their own. (And I can be terribly shallow in my own way, anyway.)

*OK, to be fair it doesn't always rub me the wrong way - it depends on designer so it's terribly subjective. And even if it does I'm often willing to overlook it if the cast offers other types of characters as well. But when the main cast, or god forbid the entire cast, is made up of cute animne girls, I'm out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 11902
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
At least this series is being delayed for 1-2 seasons from their Japanese premiere dates like Netflix likes to be via binge-watching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group