• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Winter 2018

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Best: A Place Further Than the Universe
Runner-up: Laid-back Camp
Worst: Darling in the FranXX

(Also should note that I am also enjoying Katana Maidens, simply because nobody else is talking about it.)

I enjoy these simply for learning about shows I haven’t caught up with that might gain my interest, and After the Rain sounds really appealing now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
It is nice to see Laid-Back Camp get some love; I really enjoyed it, and I hope it is released on BD. As far as the best and worst of the season, it was rather easy to determine this time around.

Best: Devilman Crybaby
Runner-up: After the Rain

Worst: Overlord II
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
No mention of Violet Evergarden, but I assume that’s probably because most of ANN is from America.
I’ve been loving Overlord II more than the first season personally. Worst is definitely Death March.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
Best: Pop Team Epic
Runner-up: After the Rain/Violet Evergarden/FranXX
DRPaladin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch as much anime this season as I have in seasons past, but nevertheless, here's how I came down.

Best: A Place Further than the Universe
Runner-up: Garo: Vanishing Line (as long as it sticks the landing this week)
Worst: Record of Grancrest War
Ande Kanata

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Best anime: Yuru CAMP
Worst Anime: Marchen Madchen, Worst quality in script and animation, with Scandals with director and owner of animation studio. Hoods Entretaiment, the worst anime studio EVAH!!!
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
Best of the season: Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
It has been funny, baddass, with great characters. I know it's not a masterpiece, but I haven't enjoyed an anime so much in years. It might also be my AOTY, it sad that it was really underrated.

Worst of the season: death march to the parallel world rhapsody
It was really bland and kinda boring, and I didn't feel any attach to the characters
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
I’m waiting until I see the last episode of After the Rain to decide whether it or A Place Further Than the Universe is my favorite from this season.

As for worst ... I dropped Beatless after the fashion show part since that was NOT the sci-fi I was looking for. I dropped Kokkoku at episode 9 bc I just could NOT slog through that boring train wreck any longer - it was definitely the most disappointing for me since the premise SHOULD have made for an interesting show. I did love the opening and ending, though.

I also can’t help but love the hell out of Darling in the Franxx. I won’t lie - I’m always stoked to watch butt sex robots every week and a small part of me kinda hopes it will say something more interesting than “sex is important!” The only part that bugs me is it seems to break its own rules about what these kids know - how can they show that these kids know nothing about sex or kissing and live in a world where people don’t reproduce naturally and then throw out “having a baby is the most natural thing” from one of these kids and the other kid nods knowingly - like what????? It just takes me out of believing the world building.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed a lot of anime this season. I'd like to give shout outs to After the Rain and A Place Further Than the Universe, as I did not expect to enjoy these nearly as much as I did.

Best: Devilman crybaby (I just binge watched the whole thing last night and holy hell was that one insane ride. I want to watch it again once my brain gets a break.)
Best that ANN isn't covering: IDOLiSH7 and Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Runner-up: Overlord II
Worst: Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
Venitas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
For me I will just put Laid-back Camp above A Place Further Than the Universe. A lot of people would say that A Place Further is better, but I just find Laid-back Camp SoL/Iyashikei style more appealing, It remind me of my favorite anime last season (Girls last tour).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
I want to say Darling in the FranXX is my favourite, but it has not finished yet. Because of all the 2 cour shows, I'm still watching stuff that started in 2017.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
I think it's a shame Hakumei and Mikochi didn't get more recognition, considering the world-building and the fantastic story

Anyway, rebecca has redeemed herself by choosing How To Keep A Mummy as her favorite after panning Tatara's misadventures in Welcome To The Ballroom. Mii-kun dethroned the Moyashimon Microbes and all the black kitties in anime to become the King of Cuteness, with Kotaro from Gakuen Babysitters coming at a *very* close second.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
NicoleNippah wrote:
Best of the season: Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
It has been funny, baddass, with great characters. I know it's not a masterpiece, but I haven't enjoyed an anime so much in years. It might also be my AOTY, it sad that it was really underrated.

I'd place it second behind A Place Further than the Universe, but yes, this is by far the most under-appreciated show of the season, and perhaps in quite some time. It's tightly-written, well-scored, and a lot of fun.

Yuru Camp would probably place third.

Violet Evergarden had too much melodrama and too many coincidences to score highly on my list. I watch Darling in the FRANXX mostly for amusement value. Mahoutsukai no Yome tailed off in the last half-dozen episodes.

The show I most looked forward to week-in and week-out was the second season of 3-gatsu no Lion. I guess that doesn't qualify here.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Best: A Place Further Than the Universe and Devilman Crybaby

One for when you want a touching and soft adventure series that smartly deals with relatable personal issues. One for when you want to be mesmerized by the wondrously raw and painful imagery. I doubt I’ll forget about either of these anime anytime soon.

Runner Up: Darling in the Franxx and Pop Team Epic

I want to like Franxx more but as of now I’m way more interested in its secondary characters (looking at your Gobro) and the world building rather than Hiro and Zero Two. I would dare say Zero Two is one of the reasons I can’t always enjoy it. I can’t declare it the best/worst cause it’s not done yet.I think it’ll all depend on whatever big plot reveals they’re building up to. I’m just enthralled by the world building and I want to see how deep it all runs, so it does keep me coming back every week.

And as for PTE. I watch the dub and I love dub voice actors, so while the humor doesn’t always hit I just love watching and hearing these actors have fun with the insanity. All the Bob Team Epic segments sound like they’re just Ian Sinclair and Christ Sabat letting out steam and goofing off on a Friday night.

Worst: Junji Ito Collection

I haven’t watched Death March and I never will cause I’ve lost hope in the Isekai sub-genre. But I did watch Junji Ito and as a gigantic fan of his work, it sadly disappointed me. Not even bringing in Tomie helped bring this adaptation above “its meh.” Im left wondering if it would’ve been better if they chose a different style. Adapting a lot of things near frame by frame or in pacing just didn’t work.

I personally think if it was styled and told like Yamishibai it would’ve been much better.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
No mention of Violet Evergarden, but I assume that’s probably because most of ANN is from America.

Correct. It will be eligible for best of Spring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7