• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Principal Smartphone Game Ends Service in December

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprising, because the gameplay was quite boring (just some jewel puzzle crap). TBH, it wasn't that different from Angel Beats! Operation Wars, another color-match puzzle combat thing with gems and in-app purchases that was shut down years ago.

What is surprising is that the six-film Princess Principal sequel project was announced at an event for the mobile game, not that long ago. So it seemed like they were committed to it.

Really looking like these anime mobage are feast or famine. In research for a panel I did this weekend, I saw that Fate/Grand Order is making about $2-3 million a day just off iOS users, while another VN-based mobage, Uta no Prince-Sama Shining Live, doesn't even make enough money to chart, and therefore can't be estimated (at one point, Think Gaming had it listed as making $43/day total).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Not too surprising, because the gameplay was quite boring (just some jewel puzzle crap). TBH, it wasn't that different from Angel Beats! Operation Wars, another color-match puzzle combat thing with gems and in-app purchases that was shut down years ago.

What is surprising is that the six-film Princess Principal sequel project was announced at an event for the mobile game, not that long ago. So it seemed like they were committed to it.

Really looking like these anime mobage are feast or famine. In research for a panel I did this weekend, I saw that Fate/Grand Order is making about $2-3 million a day just off iOS users, while another VN-based mobage, Uta no Prince-Sama Shining Live, doesn't even make enough money to chart, and therefore can't be estimated (at one point, Think Gaming had it listed as making $43/day total).

I think that if the Fate/ franchise were not so successful, then F/Grand Order might have been discontinued months ago.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think that if the Fate/ franchise were not so successful, then F/Grand Order might have been discontinued months ago.

I don't buy this theory that you can slap Fate on something and it immediately becomes successful, or the converse that other franchises can't be successful. UtaPri is the only other VN-based franchise to do well in terms of disc sales in the last few years (in Japan, it sold about as well as Unlimited Blade Works) so seeing its mobage flop is genuinely interesting. Same with Princess Principal: it's popular enough to get a six-movie sequel, but not enough to keep its mobage afloat.

It's probably a combination of the franchise and the game itself. If a game just isn't fun, slapping all my favorite characters all over it still isn't going to keep me interested. And on the flip side, a good game will get me into something. I wouldn't give BanG Dream! the time of day until we got that game, but now I play the heck out of it and know all the characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1