• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Eureka Seven: Hi - Evolution Film's 1st 10 Minutes Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not one to be a knee-jerk hater of CG but the beginning sequence is a little jarring. It's one thing to have CG in the background as a compliment to the characters or something but to have some scenes with CG characters and some with hand drawn just seems odd. I would've rather they go all the way with either hand drawn or CG.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
^^The CG isn't all that bad IMO, certainly as good as the better recent examples like BBK/BRNK, and if the story is good I can forgive cutting those corners. Just good to see the non-CG too. Anyway, I think this was a very good move for people like me that absolutely HATED the first movie and remember abominations like AO that would have kept me away from this second movie, despite Dai Sato being back on the crew.

The first movie seemed like a compilation of the Ray/Charles arc completely lifting footage from the original series to do it (so lazy!), so catching a shot of "cheerleader Anemone" in a clip had me flipping tables! The recently released trailer and this now has me anxious to see this movie because it looks like it isn't going to go into "baby Nirvash" territory and will circle around to something like the original story. Good save guys...
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It's not that the CG is bad, but this whole project has been such an awkward mix-mash of different styles and, as you noted, literally using old footage from the TV series which isn't even the same aspect ratio, that it is hard for it to come across as anything but a huge mess. It's definitely not the lavish theatrical quality re-imagining of the series that a lot of fans were hoping for, that's for sure.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I've said this with every single article posted about it, but seriously what the hell is that plot.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit.
Still no idea what is with this radical storyline shift but that was quite gripping and I think I already like this Anemone so that's good though I can't understand the dialogue yet. The tone was a good hook to the opening.

But yeah, what the hell is going on with such a huge shift, especially after the first movie re-adapted the Ray/Charles/Renton arc (with the old animation).

I hope Dai Sato can make whatever AU/multiverse/timeline/shift this is work better this time than the old movie or AO did if that's what this is.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^^The CG isn't all that bad IMO, certainly as good as the better recent examples like BBK/BRNK, and if the story is good I can forgive cutting those corners. Just good to see the non-CG too. Anyway, I think this was a very good move for people like me that absolutely HATED the first movie and remember abominations like AO that would have kept me away from this second movie, despite Dai Sato being back on the crew.

The first movie seemed like a compilation of the Ray/Charles arc completely lifting footage from the original series to do it (so lazy!), so catching a shot of "cheerleader Anemone" in a clip had me flipping tables! The recently released trailer and this now has me anxious to see this movie because it looks like it isn't going to go into "baby Nirvash" territory and will circle around to something like the original story. Good save guys...

Yeah, I thought the animation and scale looked really quite good. I think this is good as long as the whole (or at least most) movie contains new animation this time and not like the first where they used such a huge amount of the old animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1