• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azoland Pictures Cancels Canadian 'Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Take on Me' Film Screenings

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
It feels like we're getting fewer and fewer anime movies in theatres here... all the ones I'm really interested in don't seem to show up. This isn't a series I've watched, but I often go just to show my support for anime movies in general.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
It feels like we're getting fewer and fewer anime movies in theatres here... all the ones I'm really interested in don't seem to show up. This isn't a series I've watched, but I often go just to show my support for anime movies in general.

To my knowledge we've been getting more and more anime movies in theaters in the States the last 2-3 years. I've gone to see I think at least 4 or 5 this year? Plus there have been several I didn't go to either by choice or because I wasn't interested. There's been a couple that haven't made it to theaters here, but we've gotten a good amount.

Could it just be that as you said things you're personally interested aren't coming to the states? So you're not seeing everything that you don't care about? I think people often overlook a lot because of their own preferences.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
marshmallowpie wrote:

To my knowledge we've been getting more and more anime movies in theaters in the States the last 2-3 years. I've gone to see I think at least 4 or 5 this year? Plus there have been several I didn't go to either by choice or because I wasn't interested. There's been a couple that haven't made it to theaters here, but we've gotten a good amount.

Could it just be that as you said things you're personally interested aren't coming to the states? So you're not seeing everything that you don't care about? I think people often overlook a lot because of their own preferences.

Please note that marshmallowpie is from Canada and thus your comment doens't actually apply. I'm not trying to be rude, just felt it should be pointed out. I'm also Canadian and have noticed that if I want to see an anime movie I pretty much have to drive an hour or more to see it even though I live within a short distance of a major theatre. That's if it comes to the vancouver area.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

Something you apparently overlooked is that this article was about an anime movie showing in Canada and the person you replied to is in Canada (as listed in their profile to the left of the message), and thus would be speaking about anime movie showings in Canada.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Taaaaaaake ooooooonnnnnn meeeeeeeeee (Take on me)
Taaaaaaake meeeeeeeeee ooooooonnnnnn (Take on me)
Iiiiiiiillllllllllllll beeeeeeeeee goooooonnnnnnne
In a day or - TWOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I’m sorry, I had to.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

Something you apparently overlooked is that this article was about an anime movie showing in Canada and the person you replied to is in Canada (as listed in their profile to the left of the message), and thus would be speaking about anime movie showings in Canada.

Yeah my apologies I screwed up, as the other guy here also mentioned the bit about Canada. I'm on mobile and I'm half dead from the holiday here in the States. Well, hopefully Canada gets more movies.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Sucks for our Canadian friends. I missed out on the only showing near my house (1hr away in SF) due to travel. Hope Sentai gives it a quick BD release.

I think it's a revenue issue. Maybe the publisher wanted a deeper cut off the ticket than Canadian theaters wanted to allowed. In the U.S. (AMC) has moved anime showings to a movie event to maybe balance the revenue split. Also, it could be that Sentai doesn't have the right relationships (like Funimation) for these type of releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1