• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote

This Spinoff:

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations (TV)

Original Series:

1st Series - Naruto (TV)
2nd Series - Naruto Shippūden (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 19 volumes, written by Ukyō Kodachi (#1–13), Masashi Kishimoto (#14–), illustrated by Mikio Ikemoto)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Pierrot

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Thmes: martial arts, ninja, ninjutsu

Plot Summary: Years have passed since Naruto and Sasuke teamed up to defeat Kaguya, the progenitor of chakra and the greatest threat the ninja world has ever faced. Times are now peaceful and the new generation of shinobi has not experienced the same hardships as its parents. Perhaps that is why Boruto would rather play video games than train. However, one passion does burn deep in this ninja boy’s heart, and that is the desire to defeat his father, Naruto.

Air Date & Platform:
April 5, 2017 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, Hulu

Episode Count / Runtime: 293 episodes
----------------------------------

(I have browsed back the forum for a few years but could not find a thread about Boruto, so here it is.)

First of all, this amine is more confusing versus two previous canonic anime instalments in the franchise in terms of which part is purely anime filler and which ones are from the manga.

Some of it certainly only feels like filler-level materials since the excuses why children have to go on certain seemingly important missions and not adult professional ninjas are way less convincing comparing to the original work. Also how some of the children routinely have to go back personally to the Hidden Leaf village with some information/message even though one of the group is a wizard-painter lad who could have just drawn a bird with a letter to send it instead.

Much of the anime is really stupid this way but also in many small ways. For example, in one of the episodes, a pale snake-like ninja pupil is shown carrying a kitten by the scruff and some passerby tells it is "rough" for the kitten and makes it be in fear while the exact opposite is true, according to scientific studies. Just a little thing but also annoying.

Other parts of the anime feel like more proper material where things do make sense so viewers are not facepalming all the time, so it is worthy enough to be watched.

Character development was not ever a strong thing for the whole project anyway, so in this anime, there is not a lot of it. This Boruto child starts as a slightly worse version of Naruto then becomes just like Naruto, and he is about as annoying and hysterical as Naruto was all the way. No meaningful difference between them except for skills.

Even in stronger arcs of the anime which have seemingly proper material Boruto's participation in the events does not seem warranted at all since he is fighting against enemies of the levels which were previously fought by Naruto and other top ninjas when they all were (already) highly advanced fighters.

To be fair, a few legacy characters from earlier franchise instalments die in this anime, which is, ironically, always the best "character development".

Composers Yasuharu Takanashi and Yaiba, who have made the music for Shippuuden, came out with new pieces for this third instalment of the TV franchise. And some of it is really good.

The quality of visuals, in general, is much better than the first instalment, Naruto (2001-2007), which was mostly really bad; it is about on par with Shippuuden.

Resume: the current average grade "Good" the anime has on this site accurately indicates its overall quality. If there would be no silly filler-level material, the grade could have been "Very good" but not higher due to issues with even its proper source material.
jirotheking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:58 am Reply with quote
A hell of a fight this episode! Sasuke and Naruto the dream team vs Jigen.

We got to see Shadow Clones, Chakra Receivers, Rasengan, and all those classic stuff. Definitely my favorite episode of this arc with the high level techniques. Jigen is absoutely no pushover when it comes to his abilities, and probably ranks among some of the strongest characters in this series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1