• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Reveals 1st 10 Games for 'Sega Genesis Mini' Console's U.S. Version

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
doubt it will be added, but my favorite sega game was acme all stars, i was a pretty huge tiny toons fan.

That or tecmo super bowl 3, which i also spent a lot of time with.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, don't expected anything that might require an extra license to show up in that games list. But like the other mini consoles I'm sure there will be a way to hack it and add what you want to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
doubt it will be added, but my favorite sega game was acme all stars, i was a pretty huge tiny toons fan.

I never played that one but one of my favourite Genesis platformers is Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasures which I likewise doubt will be on there since it's a third-party title based on a licensed property.

I do, of course, have it on cartridge but the lack of a cartridge slot on the Genesis Mini makes that moot, unless Sega will also sell an add-on that'll let us play our cartridge games on the Mini. I already said in the other thread that the only "official" option for playing Genesis cartridge games on hardware that isn't decades old is going to remain the AtGames console though unlicensed clone consoles that play cartridges without the music or compatibility issues of the AtGames Genesises do exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
sonic 2, 3, and knuckles likely be in US one.

sadly gotta wait for a cdmini for sonic cd Sad
Maciste

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:29 am Reply with quote
All I ask for is for Streets of Rage 2 to be included.
I played the living hell out of it with my brother back in the days.
Ahhh, good times...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see that Sega managed to have more titles in their mini console than Nintendo and Sony, and it's really cool that they got the rights for Castlevania: Bloodlines/New Generation, it would be nice if Konami would allow Contra the Hard Corps to be included as well.
I've been hearing some rumors that they probrably won't include Sonic 1 due to music rights involving the band Dreams Come True, since the main composer still has the rights for many of the tracks. Sonic 3 & Knuckles could face the same problem.
Also, I still don't like that the American version only has the 3-button controller, this means that Street Fighter II is probably not going to be included.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
...and it's really cool that they got the rights for Castlevania: Bloodlines/New Generation, it would be nice if Konami would allow Contra the Hard Corps to be included as well.

I was just about to comment on this. Castlevania Bloodlines being on here is HUGE. Hopefully it'll also appear on the upcoming Castlevania Anniversary Collection by Konami, but this is at least confirmation that this really excellent and rather rare Castlevania entry will again be accessible to play. It's never appeared on any previous third-party Genesis emulation machine or even the Nintendo Virtual Console/eShop. If Contra Hard Corps also makes an appearance--and with 40 total games it really should--this Sega Genesis Mini will be under serious consideration by me. Those were two of the biggest third-party games that made Super NES owners think twice about the Genesis, and they're both very cool and different from the entries seen on Nintendo's 16-bit console.

The only caveat that would make me hesitate at all on this is if Konami's upcoming Castlevania and Contra collections cover these rare gems as well. The fact that Bloodlines is even on the table after skipping Nintendo's download services for 13 years means one of two things: Either Sega signed an exclusivity deal for the emulation on this new machine, or it's already been emulated for the upcoming Anniversary Collection and was therefore also available for Sega to use. Either way, it's exciting news for fans of the 16-bit era and/or Castlevania.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
So it'll be 10 Sonic games and 30 other games, then?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

I've been hearing some rumors that they probrably won't include Sonic 1 due to music

Yeah I think you might have made a mistake somewhere since I've not heard of this nor see it happening given it's been ported numerous times since it originally came out and would make the situation with Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles even more awkward.

Silver Kirin wrote:

Also, I still don't like that the American version only has the 3-button controller, this means that Street Fighter II is probably not going to be included.

Championship Edition isn't even the best port of Street Fighter 2, so it's not much of a loss.

LightningCount wrote:
Those were two of the biggest third-party games that made Super NES owners think twice about the Genesis,

As someone who owned both systems I don't remember too much chatter back in the day about Hard Corps much less Vampire Killer and how better they supposedly were over Contra 3 and Super Castlevania 4.

Everyone was too busy focusing on Sonic-Mario, Street Fighter-Mortal Kombat, and all those various sport titles like Madden, NBA Jam, & NHL Hockey.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It's probably extremely wishful thinking due to licensing issues but it would be lovely if Sega could include a couple of their top-tier first party Disney titles, specifically Aladdin and one of either (if not both of) Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse or World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, all of which are generally considered to be amongst the top ten Genesis/Mega Drive "platform" games.

Virgin Interactive also put out several great Disney platformers including The Lion King and The Jungle Book, although, like with Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (yeah, I know, that one's based on a Warner and not a Disney property), I'm not expecting any third-party games based on licensed characters, since that's an additional layer of licensing compared even to the first-party Sega Disney games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's probably extremely wishful thinking due to licensing issues but it would be lovely if Sega could include a couple of their top-tier first party Disney titles, specifically Aladdin and one of either (if not both of) Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse or World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, all of which are generally considered to be amongst the top ten Genesis/Mega Drive "platform" games.

Virgin Interactive also put out several great Disney platformers including The Lion King and The Jungle Book, although, like with Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (yeah, I know, that one's based on a Warner and not a Disney property), I'm not expecting any third-party games based on licensed characters, since that's an additional layer of licensing compared even to the first-party Sega Disney games.

Yea from what i listed was off the top of my head, but im a pack rat and i never sold any old systems or games and went back and checked and in the original cases i still have acme all stars,busters hidden treasure, super street fighter 2, Ecco jr. winter olympic games,sonic the hedgehog, virtual bart, both teenage mutant ninja turtles tournament fighters/the hyperstone heist,tecmo super bowl, and ecco the tides of time.(not too mention a buttload more cartridge only)

Too bad non of those ever risen in price over the years Razz would like variety with this, but also wouldnt mind it just filled with each sonic game released on the sega either ..>
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
...As someone who owned both systems I don't remember too much chatter back in the day about Hard Corps much less Vampire Killer and how better they supposedly were over Contra 3 and Super Castlevania 4.

Everyone was too busy focusing on Sonic-Mario, Street Fighter-Mortal Kombat, and all those various sport titles like Madden, NBA Jam, & NHL Hockey.

Oh, you're correct that Contra III: The Alien Wars and Super Castlevania IV were considered, in mainstream, general conversation, to be much better games. I rarely heard the opposite in that time period, so yes, I recall it that way as well. But considering that Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (for the PC Engine Super CD-ROM² add-on) was a semi-secret Castlevania entry (in the sense that it was never released overseas in that time period and was only seen in the occasional magazine article), it was sort of a big deal that there was a wholly original, non-Nintendo, and Sega-only Castlevania (and Contra) experience out there. Not Sonic-Mario big in terms of first party, or Mortal Kombat big in terms of third party by any means at all, but you kind of felt one of two things if you were a fan of those franchises: Either you didn't care because you had the "superior" Super NES experiences, or you felt like you were missing a little something of what had been, in the mainstream, Nintendo console-only franchises--six Castlevania-branded games between NES, Game Boy, and SNES up to that point, and five Contra-branded games between the same consoles. It was a sign of Sega grabbing Nintendo-only prizes.

I myself remember looking at the game boxes of these two in the store fairly wistfully, but I didn't have a Genesis, only an SNES.

Going back and looking at the reviews of the time, while there were some mixed/negative reactions, there was seemingly a lot more love and hype for Castlevania Bloodlines (aka Vampire Killer) than not:

Game Fan: "The magic is back! Castlevania has finally arrived on the Sega Genesis and, of course, it is a masterpiece. From the opening animation to the last lash of the whip, this is action platform gaming at its finest. The game design is among the best in the series, as are the bosses, music and play mechanics. And wait until you hear the sound effects, stunning! I am now dying for a sequel. Next up, after Double Dribble, is an all new Contra for the Genesis ... '94 is going to be a great year!!"

EGM: The special effects blow away most other Genesis carts easily, especially in the Tower of Pisa...Bloodlines is another awesome game from start to finish. Incredibly detailed graphics is one of the things I noticed. Also the sounds are truly Konami style. Excellent! Animations and special effects of enemies that I never seen in a game before are really, what you say "awesome!" Very cool weapons you can pick up. Put me on the wait-list for this one."

Game Players: "Aside from a few rough spots, Casltevania: Bloodlines is a real winner. Konami evidently labored over each and every inch, and there are new surprises around every turn. There's even a little blood n' gore. Bloodlines is great for fans, and if you haven't tried a Castlevania game, now is a great time to jump in."

SOURCE: http://www.defunctgames.com/reviewcrew/10/castlevania-bloodlines-what-did-critics-think-in-1994

Wikipedia's archives info says this about Contra Hard Corps: "GamePro gave the game a positive review, praising the impressive bosses, "eye-catching" graphics, explosions "which test the limits of TV speakers", simple control configuration, and intense action.[ The four reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly also gave the game a recommendation for its four character selection, intense action, and impressive graphical effects, though they remarked that the difficulty can be extremely frustrating.

Next Generation reviewed the Genesis version of the game, rating it three stars out of five, and stated that "Contra: Hard Corps is the ultimate side-scrolling shooter and a beast of a game that won't be easily defeated. And that's official."

In retrospect, what's most amazing is how distinct the approaches were to these entries; they truly had great elements the SNES entries didn't, and vice versa, and today you'll find fans who, with the 16-bit console wars over, will fall on either side of the argument, or just agree that they're all really cool for what they are and what they accomplished.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1