• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Detective Conan's Kaitō Kid's Card Gun Inspires Glow Sticks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
yea nothing can go wrong with this..waving around a gun shaped glowstick at night.....
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
yea nothing can go wrong with this..waving around a gun shaped glowstick at night.....

I know that the careless handling of some toy guns can a safety concern because they look so realistic, but this barely resembles a real gun. How many real guns have neon-colored glowing plastic cards sticking out the front where a barrel would normally be?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow
If we follow the premise of that absurdist humor--that any object is provocative to police when handheld--then why would this be remarkable because it's vaguely gun-shaped?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Sorry for being flippant.

But that is not all that absurd, it's slightly exaggerated dark satire. Black fathers do have talks with their sons about having to be extra careful around cops and black people especially get shot semi regularly with little or no warning when police mistake mundane objects, like cell phones and wallets, for guns. That situation in the movie The Hate U Give, is not an absurd one.

But yeah, no matter your ethnicity any gun shaped object (neon color means almost nothing anymore) IS especially dangerous in America, or any other location with heavily armed police forces who are taught to be especially paranoid... because, yes- guns can come out anywhere.

But these are not being marketed in the U.S. and Japanese police are not as likely to start shooting when they see a toy shaped like a gun 1. because the police force is not especially heavily armed 2. because of the stringent gun control measures the assumption is that "that's probably not a real gun."

Not to say that toy guns aren't sold everywhere- but I'd certainly think twice about walking around with anything of the sort in the US and would warn any child about the real and not all that absurd dangers of playing with them in any situation that could be mistaken as anything other than child's play.

And realize, that toy is explicitly (not at all vaguely) gun-shaped and only the cards are neon, the rest is imitation stainless steal and a black handgrip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1