• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2019 Doraemon Film Opens at #1 at Japanese Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madzack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
There's so much to unpack here such:

Why isn't Alita doing well in Japan compared to other Asian countries?

Is it the same Pacific Rim situation where supposedly what we assume is popular in Japan isn't really otherwise?
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Doraemon! Smile

Madzack wrote:

It could be for a variety of reasons. Maybe the overall publicity for the movie isn’t as big over there.
Mojojotaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Madzack wrote:

Is it the same Pacific Rim situation where supposedly what we assume is popular in Japan isn't really otherwise?

Westernized Japanese media are generally ignored in Japan. However, foreign movies and animations with non-domestic origin are generally more popular than their own product. There are some outliers last year like Code Blue , Conan and Doreamon, but overall Japan loves foreign films.
Đại Nguyễn Đăng

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Doraemon franchise's 39th film, sold 645,000 tickets for 157 million yen.
757 million not 157
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Đại Nguyễn Đăng wrote:
Doraemon franchise's 39th film, sold 645,000 tickets for 157 million yen.
757 million not 157

The typo has been fixed. Thanks!
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Madzack wrote:

Japanese audiences have never cared for Americanized versions of manga or anime properties. These types of films always do poorly here. Simply put, they're unwelcome here. We'd rather read the manga, or watch the anime. Hollywood always misconstrues these works and downplays their Japanese culture and heritage.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Madzack wrote:

Japanese audiences have never cared for Americanized versions of manga or anime properties. These types of films always do poorly here. Simply put, they're unwelcome here. We'd rather read the manga, or watch the anime. Hollywood always misconstrues these works and downplays their Japanese culture and heritage.

Hopefully, Detective Pikachu is one of the few exceptions. It has so much potential.
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Mojojotaro wrote:
Madzack wrote:

Westernized Japanese media are generally ignored in Japan. However, foreign movies and animations with non-domestic origin are generally more popular than their own product. There are some outliers last year like Code Blue , Conan and Doreamon, but overall Japan loves foreign films.

I would say that they are equally popular, you will always have Japanese movies or anime among the 10 biggest box offices there along with foreign films. Last year as you yourself said, no american animation surpassed doraemon, much less came close to Conan, hell, even Infinite War lost to Conan. Among the films released this year, Masquerete Hotel is the most popular in Japan. I believe that in general this is the case in Asian countries, China and South Korea also value their films a lot.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Madzack wrote:

Thing is that Alita is the first time ever that Hollywood did a good job in adapting a manga. I would say it felt like watching a 200 million dollars OVA done in live action rather than a "Hollywood adaptation".

Also, we must wait for the Japanese box office data to come out over the next months to check how popular it will fare. Usually the Japanese film market tends to be very different from other countries in that big successes in Japan are movies that gross 20-30 times the value of their opening weekend. Alita's opening weekend suggests that the movie might fare much better in Japan than in North America by we must wait a long time to see how much it will eventually gross.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
I don't know how popular Alita is in Japan but I wonder if it's the case that the Alita manga might simply be more popular in the US than it is in Japan. Before the movie came out, it always felt like Alita was more of a niche title compared to other big name sci-fi classics like Ghost in the Shell and Akira.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1