• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Captain Marvel Actress Brie Larson Cites Sailor Moon as Childhood Role Model

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Another celebrity sites an anime character as a role model?

Well. bless her heart.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
At first it seemed to me that she was talking about Usagi, and not about SM in general ... Now I really wonder who her favorite character is.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Maybe one day it wont be the usual Dragonball Z/Sailor Moon/Pokemon answer.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Heishi wrote:

^^^

Not to mention Brie Larson herself isn't exactly someone that little girls should look up to next to many of her acting colleagues. She's a real "fan the flames" type when it comes to activism, and her acting in Captain Marvel was phoned in.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps in one or two more generations, they will be citing KonoSuba and Love Live as their inspirations.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Perhaps in one or two more generations, they will be citing KonoSuba and Love Live as their inspirations.

"Silene from Devilman Crybaby was such an inspiration for me as a kid!"
MF65

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Heishi wrote:

^^^

Not to mention Brie Larson herself isn't exactly someone that little girls should look up to next to many of her acting colleagues. She's a real "fan the flames" type when it comes to activism, and her acting in Captain Marvel was phoned in.

Oh no!!!! She's a feminist *le gasp* Won't anyone think of the children? Shocked

I'm very curious to know your opinion of Captain America himself, Chris Evans, though. Is he a good role model, I wonder?
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:

Oh no!!!! She's a feminist *le gasp* Won't anyone think of the children? Shocked

I'm very curious to know your opinion of Captain America himself, Chris Evans, though. Is he a good role model, I wonder?

I'm a feminist as well and even I don't approve of her actions. I'm just some random person on the internet, so I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this issue though.

Also what exactly did Chris Evans do?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:

It's extremely disingenuous to dismiss any criticism of a media figure with a strawman argument. From what I've seen, nobody dislikes her for being a feminist, but because she's very toxic, racist, and condescending. I usually don't pay attention to celebrity gossip, but I did see she said white men should not be reviewing A Wrinkle in Time which I found odd because the original book was written by a white woman and starred white characters, the Disney movie actually appropriated it and blackwashed everything. It's also a bit hypocritical given she's listing a Japanese character as inspiring to her, but she herself is a white person. By her own logic, her opinion on Sailor Moon is not important because it wasn't made for her, it was made for the Japanese.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also a bit hypocritical given she's listing a Japanese character as inspiring to her, but she herself is a white person. By her own logic, her opinion on Sailor Moon is not important because it wasn't made for her, it was made for the Japanese.

Uhh...so you're saying any girl who's not Japanese can't like Sailor Moon and be inspired by her? That makes no sense. I don't know much about Brie Larson, nor do I want to, but there are thousands, possibly millions of girls around the world who look up to Sailor Moon, of all nationalities. Saying someone can't like a Japanese character because they're not the exact same ethnicity is like saying you don't want an American eating Italian food because they themselves aren't Italian.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I left for four hours and look what happened! Tsk tsk.

Sigh, if I must explain my views on Brie Larson, fine. I disagree with her building her own movie up as though it's anything more than entertainment. Yes, it's great that young girls have a superhero to look up to now, but are we really going to act like we should be giving underprivileged children a chance to see Captain Marvel instead of... I dunno, giving them food or clothes? Not to mention many of her statements are "I don't need white men seeing my movies," giving a negative connotation to white men instead of "I'd like to hear the opinion of more African-American or female critics. I feel this movie was made more for them." You know? The positive message of "females and minority races, get your opinions out there" and not the negative message of "white men, your opinions are invalid."

As a public figure, you often have to be very careful about what you say, and Brie Larson really isn't. She's saying what she feels will make her look good in the moment to her feminist cause, but really I don't see how much of this she truly believes in. It feels a lot like she's just stroking her own ego.

Anyway, what's this about Chris Evans? Did he do something wrong I should know about?
bones2039

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Uhh...so you're saying any girl who's not Japanese can't like Sailor Moon and be inspired by her? That makes no sense. I don't know much about Brie Larson, nor do I want to, but there are thousands, possibly millions of girls around the world who look up to Sailor Moon, of all nationalities. Saying someone can't like a Japanese character because they're not the exact same ethnicity is like saying you don't want an American eating Italian food because they themselves aren't Italian.

I can't speak for other posters, but I think they were trying to point out Brie Larson's comments about not caring about what white men think of the movie A Wrinkle In Time. If she truly thinks opinions of people that are not the target audience of a film or tv show don't matter, then why mention a series not targeted at her? It's not a great agruement, but it does seem to make her statement mean if you don't like it and are not the target audience then your opinion doesn't matter. If you do like it then your opinion is valid because you like it. Negative opinions invalid because reasons, positive opinions always valid.

To the main topic, great to see Sailor Moon had an influence on her. I might not agree with her politics but I did see Captain Marvel and it was a good movie. Not in the best of MCU movies but not a clunker either.
Pico-dillo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,” Larson told Marie Claire interviewer Keah Brow.......Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive.

Wow - you are so right - she's so against white men. Look at her wanting to add more women and people of color! Not replace white men - just add more diverse views.

Isn't that terrible!!

This campaign against Brie Larson would be laughable if it wasn't so sad and helped feed the stereotype the world has of anime fans as socially awkward individuals living in a basement in front of a computer screen.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
I can't speak for other posters, but I think they were trying to point out Brie Larson's comments about not caring about what white men think of the movie A Wrinkle In Time. If she truly thinks opinions of people that are not the target audience of a film or tv show don't matter, then why mention a series not targeted at her? It's not a great agruement, but it does seem to make her statement mean if you don't like it and are not the target audience then your opinion doesn't matter. If you do like it then your opinion is valid because you like it. Negative opinions invalid because reasons, positive opinions always valid.

A lot of Americans don't even view anime as being Japanese. They constantly call Japanese characters white or even black. I would not be surprised if Brie Larson doesn't even know Sailor Moon is Japanese.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Pico-dillo wrote:
“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,” Larson told Marie Claire interviewer Keah Brow.......Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive.

Wow - you are so right - she's so against white men. Look at her wanting to add more women and people of color! Not replace white men - just add more diverse views.

Isn't that terrible!!

This campaign against Brie Larson would be laughable if it wasn't so sad and helped feed the stereotype the world has of anime fans as socially awkward individuals living in a basement in front of a computer screen.

Her message was a good one, but her words were extremely poor. She should not of singled one race as being a "problem" and that their opinion on anything doesn't matter. Imagined if she said "there are too many black people in the NBA" and how the internet would have blown up on her for that. If you want to support diversity great, but never alienate one race as being an issue, because crap like that only generates hate and that's never a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3