• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pop Team Epic Season One Blu-ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
Beckett: I am ANN. I will tell you everything about my tastes!
Me: Tell me how much you love Pop Team Epic.
Becket: I luv it a lot Very Happy
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Part of me thinks that the actors in the English dub should've ad-libed more of their lines, like the Japanese cast sometimes did. As it is, the dub is basically a straight adaptation of the sub, and that doesn't always work when adapting comedies. The English dub does get a bit better about this since the adaption gets a bit looser as it goes along (Sean Schemmel tripping over his line and coughing and Michael Sinterniklaas laughing at him had me laughing harder than the actual joke that followed), but I agree that the English dub isn't the most ideal way of experiencing the show. Still, it's well worth checking out just to hear some of your favorite English voice actors going crazy in the booth (a particular highlight for me is Johnny Yong Bosch freaking the hell out as Popuko because Pipimi stubbed her toe or something). Laughing

Last edited by Raebo101 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I am still thinking about Hellshake Yano from time to time...

Speaking as someone who's initially dropped this show after the first couple of minutes and then really came to love it on the second try, i agree that it's not for everyone but everyone (with a knack for quirky humour) should at least give it a chance.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I really had trouble sitting through a full (well, the first half anyway) episode to be honest. There were some laughs in that time certainly, but I found its format very tiring very quickly.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Pop Team Epic would have worked better as a short rather than a full length episode where the second half is basically the same as the first but with different actors. it was clever at first but I never saw the need to watch both halves. I appreciated what Pop Team Epic was trying to do but I agree it's quirky humor wasn't really for me so I ended up dropping it.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
It’s better as a 4-koma.
I did enjoy the different seiyuus and the OP/ED songs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Pop Team Epic is a gift that we don't deserve.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
It's the anime equivalent of eating Tide pods and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Pop Team Epic is a gift that we don't deserve.

c a r e f u l l y b o b ' s a h e r o.
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The mangaka’s name is Bkub Okawa. Okama is... a slur... ^^;
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I might try to give it another go sometime, but that first episode was meh to me. There were a few funny moments to me (that Your Name reference was pretty funny) but mostly I stood there stone-faced.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Pop Team Epic is the most ambitious anime of 2018. It's wacky, funny, and often freakin' dumb. The show definitely isn't for everyone and will baffle those who are expecting for a coherent plot. The fact that the show lacks a coherent plot and doesn't take itself seriously is why I really like it. I also like the fact that it's completely episodic, meaning that you can watch the episodes in any order and not get confused.

My only flaw is Hoshiiro Girldrop. It was fine for the beginning of the first episode, but it really didn't need to show up for the next episode previews, mainly because the music in those is so awful and annoying that it makes me wanna tear my eardrums out!

I've watched the show in both English (all of it) and Japanese (just a couple episodes) and I honestly prefer the English dub. It's just a lot funnier to me than the Japanese version. That isn't to say that the Japanese version is bad. It's good, but there were plenty of times where I laughed out loud during the English dub of a particular skit, but only slightly chuckled at the Japanese version of the same skit. One example of this is the skit in which Popuko badly imitates Mickey Mouse.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like Pop Team Epic would have worked better as a short rather than a full length episode where the second half is basically the same as the first but with different actors. it was clever at first but I never saw the need to watch both halves..

Most times you really didn't have to. Only a couple of gags were changed/enhanced by their voice actors or were entirely different, but you could definitely just keep skipping once you reach the halfway point unless you're a fan in particular of a VA.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
I think Funimation missed a chance for a great meta joke by not packaging this as Hoshiiro Girl Drop. I mean, I think I get WHY they didn't; but c'mon, that would have been hilarious.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
^ Speaking of, this review is way too normal. How is it not in Spanish, backwards and repeating itself every three paragraphs, Bucket???? You've made a review when you could've made art
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2