• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Trails of Cold Steel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
Regarding some of Reen's lines being unvoiced, there are also passages where all the characters' lines are unvoiced, but they don't stick out as much as when Reen alone is unvoiced. It's a really bizarre choice because other times, Reen is voiced, and there's no obvious reason why or why not they voice him. The way the game is written, it would be awful if Reen was a true unvoiced protagonist, as those are always written very vaguely and generically to allow the player to insert themselves, but the writing really depends on Reen being his own character.

In comparison to its predecessor, Trails in the Sky, I REALLY liked Estelle as Trail of the Sky's protagonist, much more than Reen, who's much more tropey, but I think the really well written two protagonists in Trails in the Sky came a bit at the expense of the other characters, who mostly got their one part to tell their story, then stepped aside for the protagonists again. All the characters in Trails of Cold Steel are pretty equally well developed, with their own ongoing character arcs. The other thing about Trails of Cold Steel is that it really excels at the complicated slow reveal politicking. Trails in the Sky had an extremely tropey, standard jrpg story. It was a particularly well done one, but still, it was extremely standard. The politics are more difficult to predict since that all depends on their world building more than standard tropes. The stuff I did predict about Trails of Cold Steel was the stuff that was relying on tropes.

As another note, I played with the Japanese soundtrack, knowing enough Japanese to say the translation may have improved upon the original writing. There are many places where additional details are added to the English dialog. The English is also very flavorful, where sometimes I felt like the Japanese was kinda standard.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
as far as im concerned, atm legend of heroes is the best jrpg franchise after Persona.

Im currently playing this , and im pretty happy i dont have too get the plat again since the vita ones i got still apply...I of course already have part 2 preordered, but all of this is just hyping me up for part 3!!! i did the same and got the collectors edition preordered on the nis site..the only thing im worried about is retaining the same voice acting...its gonna really take away from the immersion of the world , if rean/alisa/laura/fie all sound differently,
it may be a 1 and a half year time leap, but they were already on the latter half of their puberty Razz i couldnt justify too myself the voice change >.>
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I played this on the Vita when it came out, and it's probably my favorite gaming series though the lines of dialog can get lengthy. I had the same problem with the Sky series because I'd die and have to relieve 30 mi Utes to an hour worth of dialog and cutscenes.

From my understanding the new PC and PS4 version added more voiced lines?

Either way I feel like anything is an upgrade from the Vita.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
XSeed went back and record more lines for Rean and possible others for the PC release and was included in the PS4 Version.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
Always glad to see the outstanding Trails series get some much deserved recognition. Branden hit the nail on the head in regards to the game's core strengths of impressive character development and engaging gameplay, and its weakness of simply serviceable graphics.

But I'd beg to differ in that I find the music phenomenal. It perfectly sets the mood or gets your blood pumping, and the only other game series music I enjoy as much is that of Persona. I'd add that the world-building is at a masterwork level, at least on par with the Dragon Quest series. Looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3!
hack5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
cfalcon wrote:
Always glad to see the outstanding Trails series get some much deserved recognition. Branden hit the nail on the head in regards to the game's core strengths of impressive character development and engaging gameplay, and its weakness of simply serviceable graphics.

But I'd beg to differ in that I find the music phenomenal. It perfectly sets the mood or gets your blood pumping, and the only other game series music I enjoy as much is that of Persona. I'd add that the world-building is at a masterwork level, at least on par with the Dragon Quest series. Looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3!

The music was/is the best just like you said it get your blood pumping especially in boss fight gosh its pronominal,same here with Persona.I am the kind of JRPG gamer that hates JRPG music that shit puts me to sleep so usually I disable it and listen to my own music eg.western anime J-pop etc lol.
Vadara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Rean is unvoiced in a lot of scenes in the original Japanese dub track because his VA is very famous and expensive as hell and Falcon is broke so they just couldn't afford to have him voice every single line.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah, love this game so much!

Also, it's really awesome they used this chance to add a lot more voiced lines.

Cool, meruru, even without knowing the original Japanese version I still felt like XSEED did an amazing job on this and the dub, so that's really neat.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely love this series.

I will definitely get the PS4 remakes eventually.

Very much looking forward to playing III when it comes to Australia.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
such an underrated game series, glad to see it get more love.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Picked it up first day. In a perfect world, we'll get an OVA or even a full series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1