• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Liquor & Cigarette, Blue Morning, Banana Fish Top 2019 BL Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Blue Morning is so, so painfully good. I picked up the first five volumes at a used-book store on a whim, casually started the first one, and wound up finishing them all in a single evening. I normally don't buy e-books (deadtree FTW), but I had to make an exception for this series and hit Sublime's site like a metor. I was completely incabable of waiting the two friggin' days it would take for an Amazon box to be dumped on my doorstep to find out what happened next!

So, yeah, congrats to BM on its much-deserved win.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Blue Morning is so good! Now, I'm a bit of an unusual yaoi reader in that I'm also asexual and tend to prefer things with little to no sex, so Blue Morning fits that for me and then has all this political intrigue stuff going on instead of sex (which is just awesome by me)

And hooray, Banana Fish! I mean, I'd probably argue it's not a yaoi (it just has two gay leads that are the perfect couple forever and ever, and to me, yaoi means "has explicit sex", and I do feel that there is a dangerous disservice to declare all gay couples in a series as "yaoi" because I feel like it implies that the very existence of gay couples is R rated stuff when that is very much not the case, but I digress), but always good to see it get more love!
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
And hooray, Banana Fish! I mean, I'd probably argue it's not a yaoi (it just has two gay leads that are the perfect couple forever and ever, and to me, yaoi means "has explicit sex", and I do feel that there is a dangerous disservice to declare all gay couples in a series as "yaoi" because I feel like it implies that the very existence of gay couples is R rated stuff when that is very much not the case, but I digress), but always good to see it get more love!

Doesn't the mangaka say they're not gay or something? I always hear people citing something like that. Detective Conan and Free are also on the list, so actually being gay seems to be optional and it seems more like a poll for what characters fujoshi like to ship together.

Shout out to "Father Fucker" though.... that's a thing.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
Banana Fish isn't BL but... good that its getting recognized for something, I guess. Its one of the most deserving series out there and it needs more attention.
Super_M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Banana Fish isn't BL but... good that its getting recognized for something, I guess. Its one of the most deserving series out there and it needs more attention.

Well, BF won Tokyo Anime Awards and sold decent amount blu-ray/dvd. I think BF would be better anime if got 3-cour because 2-cour were not enough for 19 manga volumes, some episodes felt too rushed.

Last edited by Super_M on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
Blue Morning is a great series so glad to see that at the top of the list. I had all the Banana Fish books many years ago but got rid of them during a clear out, wish I'd kept them now. I haven't watched the anime yet.

My top Yaoi title is not listed, the Viewfinder series by Ayanao Yamane. I'd give away a fortune (if I had one) for that to be animated but I know it will never happen.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Banana Fish isn't BL but... good that its getting recognized for something, I guess.

Funny enough, Dakaichi is the only BL anime listed! Perhaps since the other shows have a lot of attractive male characters with strong bonds it's prime fujoshi/fundoshi shipping material. Banana Fish is so good that whatever award it gets, I'll be satisfied.

Haven't seen DC: Zero the Enforcer but I think that features the two cops people ship in the TV series?

So glad Liquor & Cigarette won an award; love the art style and one of the newer BL mangas I've read.... through certain methods.
Super_M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
Kistune_bride wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Banana Fish isn't BL but... good that its getting recognized for something, I guess.

Funny enough, Dakaichi is the only BL anime listed! Perhaps since the other shows have a lot of attractive male characters with strong bonds it's prime fujoshi/fundoshi shipping material. Banana Fish is so good that whatever award it gets, I'll be satisfied.

May I be wrong, but Dakachi was only one true BL anime in 2018.
pauladls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
glad for Zariya Ranmaru, i love her style
Idgal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
yup, a lot of the series I voted for made the top 10!. I wish more series from Deep were license in English, probably too explicit for the market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1