• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GKIDS, Shout! Factory Release 'Ronja, The Robber's Daughter' on BD in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
It feels like it's taken forever for Ronja to finally get an official home video release in the US but I'm glad it's finally coming out. Is this GKids' first TV series license? I wonder if there's any chance they can get the Okko's Inn TV series since they got the movie.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:05 am Reply with quote
Probably, if the Okko's Inn movie sells well enough.
That doesn't mean GKids will license it.
Licenses for franchises often get split between different companies, especially if movies or TV shows are owned by different entities.
Ghibli tends to keep all its properties in-house and deal with licensing companies one per territory. It's easier to keep track of deals that way. They don't want to be like Marvel and split licenses among 3-4 different companies and have issues with rights not reverting back to Ghibli.
GKids has every Ghibli license snatched up for North America except Grave of the Fireflies (Sentai Films) and The Wind Rises which is still under license to Disney until that contract expires.

A TV series is still a tougher sell on Blu ray/DVD.
Movies are more profitable in the short term at least than a TV series. A company may be spending more dollars per minute on a movie but that film will probably be repeatedly broadcast more times over the time of its greatest profitability than a TV series ever will be. The more times you can broadcast footage, the more it will make.
Movies are an easier sell for stores and families because you don't have to invest as much time in a movie that will likely be 2 hours or less in length.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It feels like it's taken forever for Ronja to finally get an official home video release in the US but I'm glad it's finally coming out.

Yes, it took a while to be released. But I am almost shocked that someone is releasing this show on disc.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
FINALLY!

Wasn't sure it'd ever happen at this point, but day one.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It feels like it's taken forever for Ronja to finally get an official home video release in the US but I'm glad it's finally coming out. Is this GKids' first TV series license? I wonder if there's any chance they can get the Okko's Inn TV series since they got the movie.

Yup, glad to finally be able to own it.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It feels like it's taken forever for Ronja to finally get an official home video release in the US but I'm glad it's finally coming out.

It might've been because Amazon paid for some sort of exclusive deal that temporarily prevented any US home media publisher from acquiring it.

Quote:
Is this GKids' first TV series license?

AFAIK yes.

Quote:
I wonder if there's any chance they can get the Okko's Inn TV series since they got the movie.

Maybe? They seem to prefer licensing movies. Strong home media sales of Ronja and Okko's Inn (the movie) could change that, however.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The worst one can say about this series is that it definitely felt padded out, and could've easily have told its story in a single cour instead of two. Regardless, this is a charming series from the director of Tales from Earthsea, a movie I still consider underrated. I have had the Australian BD release, but I guess I'll upgrade to this so that I can listen to it in the original Japanese--which is not to say the English dub is bad by any means, but I still like/prefer having both audio options.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1