• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses The Case of Hana & Alice, Genius Party, Summer Days with Coo Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
Genius Party has been licensed. That is going to make Justin Sevakis very happy.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
Definitely curious to see Coo and Hana/Alice. Yet with these older titles having been licensed, it would truly make my day if GKIDS one day acquires Brave Story, Magic Tree House and especially Magical Witch Sisters Yoyo and Nene, of which I own the raw-only blu-rays.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Great news. I already imported the UK BD release of Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond a while ago, but I'll be glad to add Coo and Hana & Alice to my collection.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
GKids and Discotek just keep on demonstrating why they're my favorite anime distributors!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Genius Party has Baby Blue, which is something I highly recommend anyone to watch.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, my God, this is awesome news. Hana and Alice is one of my favorites, super underrated, it's Anime meets French New Wave cinema.
Xe4

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Been meaning to watch Hana & Alice for a while, but I couldn't find it anywhere except for a crazy expensive DVD copy, so this is great news. Also looking forward to checking out Coo and grabbing Genius Party for my collection.

GKIDS has been on a damn roll recently. Between their eastern and western releases, they must have grabbed around ten films this year alone!
chronoclast

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
GKids confirmed on Twitter that all of these films are going to be sub-only.

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1134177438596866048

Quote:
All subtitled… dubs are expensive and we mostly want to make sure these films are available.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
did they really expect people NOT to pirate genius party after being in limbo for 12 years? i don't know how many copies they are going to sell for this very reason, over and above the fact it is aimed at a very niche audience. i loved many of the shorts in this compilation, but it was uneven as many would expect. still, gkids has become my favourite anime distributor in the business. they know how to pick them and naturally with the entire ghibli lineup in its grasp, it has no equal. please put out an ultimate ghibli box set already!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1