• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 3DCG Anime's Characters Designed by Birthday Wonderland's Ilya K

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit hard for me to tell what hair color Motoko is going to have in this. In the first image she has more of the black hair color from the Oshii films but this new image looks almost more purple like her design in the TV show, which would make more sense if this new series is based on the SAC timeline.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Big departure but I don't dislike it... But it's gonna be CG so w/e, not like it matters how good the design look.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I like Ilya’s designs, but his style did not work well in Birthday Wonderland. The characters looked much older than they were. But I’m confident the style will be more suitable for Ghost in the Shell’s adult cast, so I think this is a good pick.

meiam wrote:
Big departure but I don't dislike it... But it's gonna be CG so w/e, not like it matters how good the design look.

Which also applies to 2D animation.

Last edited by Blackiris_ on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Dardre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm not going to object to the CG out of hand, since that's kind of foolish considering how quickly it's improving. I'd like to see the actual models in motion first.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 am Reply with quote
I’m excited about this. Kamiyama’s touch on GiTS was absolutely perfect in SAC. I think this can be a big success after the very average Arise.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yes it is a huge shame that they've decided to go this way, we will just have to wait until the next entry now. Do not know if we should blame the directors or Netflix.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:07 am Reply with quote
Yes it is a departure from the Motoko we are used to. But I like the character art, so I am willing to convert.
icelava

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 am Reply with quote
Technically, the art style is fabulous and cute. I like it, but, it feels way too cute for a serious theme like GITS.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 am Reply with quote
Just bring back Tanaka, Ohtsuka, and Yamadera
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Yes it is a huge shame that they've decided to go this way, we will just have to wait until the next entry now.

Given how it seems to be a recurring theme to take issue with any new GiTS anime for being different from the original movie or SAC just don't see the point honestly.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Do not know if we should blame the directors or Netflix.

We could just blame no one considering the product isn't finished yet and therefore don't know how it will turn out.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Yes it is a huge shame that they've decided to go this way, we will just have to wait until the next entry now.

Given how it seems to be a recurring theme to take issue with any new GiTS anime for being different from the original movie or SAC just don't see the point honestly.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Do not know if we should blame the directors or Netflix.

We could just blame no one considering the product isn't finished yet and therefore don't know how it will turn out.

Huge exaggeration. GITS Arise was bad or meh at best, the TV's second half even more so. It managed to miss not only the feel of the series but also the thing it's primarily known for: any kind of remotely consistent philosophy at all. I did not bother with the movie so I can't comment on that.

This has an actual chance of getting that part right but given the onslaught of poorly-made lazy CG anime coming out, it's completely fair to be skeptical of this. A lot of people were willing to forgive KenganAshura's CG until the trailer came out and it looked like the bad parts of Baki.

HOWEVER this IS Production IG and they're extremely competent. So yes, we have to reserve judgement until we have actual footage of it but your comment is just wrong.

On a personal note, I can't stand Ilya's designs because they only draw the same person 1000 times over and I'm not very confident the cutesy style fits a legitimate SAC sequel, but that's up to the animators.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:

Huge exaggeration. GITS Arise was bad or meh at best, the TV's second half even more so. It managed to miss not only the feel of the series but also the thing it's primarily known for: any kind of remotely consistent philosophy at all. I did not bother with the movie so I can't comment on that.

Well, that's what happens when you go from Dai Sato in his heyday to a middling hack like Tow Ubakata.
Zoberflote

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
..."the new 3D CG Ghost in the Shell anime"...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Honestly while I only saw the first episode of Arise, and at least based on that, no idea how the other episodes were like, I thought it was ok, and any issue that I may have had were not because it was different.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
CGI isnt always bad.

I use to LOATHE cgi. (type like Ajin)

Then I watched a company who can do CGI correctly (knights of sidonia) and i actually went from "this is weird as F" to 4 episodes in loving the style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3