• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Sempai (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote

Magical Sempai (TV)

Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, School, Seinen
Themes: Magic Shows

Plot Summary: Tejina is cute, weird, and loves stage magic. She also has crippling stage fright. The nameless male main character first meets her practicing parlor tricks in her club room alone. His high school requires that he join a club, and for some reason he can't take his eyes off Tejina and her fruitless attempts at magic. (from manga)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Episode 1

Only 12 minutes but I find it funny.

It seems each episode contains several skit-like stories collectively making up a single episode with mishaps dealing with magical performances. In just this first episode alone, she falls at least 3 times and makes a fool of herself.

I'm sticking around for the comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I did laugh a few times in the first episode, the failure being pretty funny. Some okay timing too, like the pigeon flying away and seeing her put up a hand drawn missing poster.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I find this quite amusing. Senpai forgetting to bring extra clothes for the trick was funny. I was worried that the straight man role would get ruined by the dude being incapable of keeping composure around the hot senpai, but the dude is actually quite resistant to the hot senpai's charms which is something I really like.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
this show is so bad it is good. Smile i am guessing the director and staff decided what the heck lets have fun with this. toss in enough ecchi to keep some watching and for the rest, well if it moves and talks and has pretty girls it must be anime. Smile I will keep watching ..for at least two reasons Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
It was kind of funny that it seemed that she could perform the tricks, only no one there to see them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure whether we were seeing her imagination for a moment or if she can actually do magic tricks but, because of her stage fright, sucks at it when other people are around.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It is an odd series, i am trying to remember any others like it...the episodes are more than a gag and the characters do actually have some development It is almost as if there was a strong supporter for magic tricks in the producers, sponsors or staff...and they said..DO IT and the staff got into it and did it.

i will keep watching mostly because of Senpai and her assets ..and abilities of course or lack thereof. No Japanese man is going to turn away from formidable oppai.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I wonder if there is some sort of irony at the very last segment of the series, sempai actually being successful with a magic trick, and it totally being in an unsubtle way, with the exact reason that things like beautiful women have been paired with magic. That being specifically for the purpose the stereotypical assistant being a beauty as to distract the audience from what is happening. Sempai's bunny girl outfit, which should activate her stage fright, distracts assistant so much that his attention is so drawn to her boobs to pay attention to what actually happened. You could argue that it has no reason beyond just a gag of a silly show, but in a way it kind of feels like the show gave away its humour trick that it was really turning the fanservice as a distraction in magic, on its head. I also wonder how it gets away with the penis balloon earlier in the episode that looks way too suspicious.

I enjoyed my time with it. It was a pretty unashamed fanservice show, with the dork of clumsy big breasted female character accidentally embarrassing herself. There does seem a little familiar to Dagashi Kashi, with a similarity with the female characters, who don't understand the sexual attraction they inflict on the male target of their major interest, magic and candy. And I don't think it quite reached a level of feeling gratuitous, rather that you could see a bit of yourself in the dork, while maybe enjoying the view. I give it a rating of Decent (6/10), and say that I enjoyed it even above the other short anime, Are You Lost, maybe enjoying the fanservice more in this one.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
I gave it a good rating. Somehow I kinda liked this show. It had some sort of certain charm to it (hot senpai). I liked the banter between Assistant and Senpai. The jokes were kinda amusing. And Senpai had a charming personality.

Really not a show that I'd recommend to anyone, but I just personally happened to like it quite a bit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 am Reply with quote
I oddly think my favourite jokes in the show were the rare ones around the birds. The idea that she thought that she could have any control over them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1