• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Celebrating The Art and Fashion of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
This was such a refreshing read. I was already going through the show withdrawal.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
And then there are 5 iconic words on the Internet: "Is that a JoJo reference?" But wow, what a legend.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Interesting read but I wonder what influenced the change of the artsyle in Part 4 onwards. Just compare Part 3 Jotaro with Part 5 Jotaro and it looks he forgot the gym's location
3ngag3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Interesting read but I wonder what influenced the change of the artsyle in Part 4 onwards. Just compare Part 3 Jotaro with Part 5 Jotaro and it looks he forgot the gym's location

I would believe it would have to do with Araki wanting to change with the times. Hulking male figures worked in the 80s and early 90s, but when people began to fall out of love with those designs, he probably had to change things up to stay relevant.
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

I would believe it would have to do with Araki wanting to change with the times. Hulking male figures worked in the 80s and early 90s, but when people began to fall out of love with those designs, he probably had to change things up to stay relevant.

I would imagine it's that as well. Part 4 was around the same time as Slam Dunk and Yu Yu Hakusho, where slimmer bodies and pretty faces were becoming popular and helped grab more female readers who like bishonen designs. Part 4 felt like a transition period into that kind of design sense to me, because it leads into 5 which is the poster "part" for that style.
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Got JoJo's 20th anniversary poster of JoJo's of Kars & Joseph. I have framed
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
I am pretty curious, is there any explanations why Araki-sense is this extraordinarily fond of Italy ( besides the art influences). He had traveled there multiple times and Italy is heavily featured throughout his series, especially entire part 5 takes place in Italy
moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I am pretty curious, is there any explanations why Araki-sense is this extraordinarily fond of Italy ( besides the art influences). He had traveled there multiple times and Italy is heavily featured throughout his series, especially entire part 5 takes place in Italy

He just likes it? As a side note, Araki will be a guest at the most important italian con in October, apparently the first time it happens outside of Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1