• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kamen Rider Shows Running Out of Allowed Places to Film in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this doesn't surprise me in the least I've had my suspicions about this for a while this pretty much confirms it For the last six years they've been pretty much filming in a lot of same locations And I think around the time wizard was filming A new law was made forbidding Modified motorcycles to be running around in certain areas so that's why you don't see the bikes very often In the show anymore But you kind of have to wonder how come Super Sentai doesn't get this much problems with filming locations or do we just not pay attention and not know about it.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
And with that in mind, I fear that Kamen Rider as a franchise could also be running out of fresh ideas.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am Reply with quote
Does that mean that Kamen Rider would have film overseas for get their shows running ?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
OmegaE50 wrote:
But you kind of have to wonder how come Super Sentai doesn't get this much problems with filming locations or do we just not pay attention and not know about it.

Perhaps it's because the most effects-heavy fights in Super Sentai are always the giant robot battle at the end of each episode, and those are of course filmed on a studio set.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
I remember when Fourze filmed in the infamous JAV pool location. That was hilarious.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Does that mean that Kamen Rider would have film overseas for get their shows running ?

They could do what Power Rangers does and film in New Zealand.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
Honestly this was pretty easy to notice. Most of the recent Rider shows had a lot of the same locations reused, and while it's usually not a problem for me since they're in Japan so of course they might go to the same locations, it does look off when they make a location look like the ultimate boss arena... and it's where a rider 4y ago fought a few trash mobs on episode 3.

XerneasYveltal wrote:
And with that in mind, I fear that Kamen Rider as a franchise could also be running out of fresh ideas.

Build was just last year.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't notice. Many of Toei's shows use the same locations. It's been just a thing that you are going to see the same locations. Sometimes good directing can make me forget that. Build was good at that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty bad for the action industry in Japan. Sounds like the day it is cheaper to film in a foreign country, than locally in Japan is here.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Anime will save Tokusatsu.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
This might explain why Japan still produces lots of action cartoons. Live-action action scenes are tough to get permission to film!
Vavrick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
At last, now I'm sure why I kept seeing the same locations from Kuuga to 555 (eg. under the same bridge).
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:

There's a bunch of folks in Auckland who know what they're doing.

But it reminds me how, after Power Rangers moved to New Zealand (out of budgetary necessity), Koichi Sakamoto was suddenly way less hamstrung on pyrotechnics. New Zealand's laws were far more permissive than California's. And since tightening standards and practices wouldn't let him so much convey violence directly, he used explosions and such to add that missing oomph.

On the flip side, they can only film in downtown Auckland like a day a week.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Many of Toei's shows use the same locations. It's been just a thing that you are going to see the same locations.

The BBC used one quarry so often in the 60's and 70's (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BBCQuarry), it was known among fandom as "BBC Quarry". Follow the links from that article and you'll find the US equivalents.
Fireminer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
After this piece of news, do you think there would be an village/town/etc. in Japan volunteering for being the set of Kamen Rider? I mean, it is good for tourism just like anime and manga set in the local area, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2