• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega's The House of the Dead, The House of the Dead 2 Games Get Remakes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:55 am Reply with quote
The Sega Model 2 games don't look that bad today.

I'm always concerned about these remakes because every game that gets a remake or port by any company other than the original developer tends to lose things. I've experienced timeswith Capcom games ported to the PS3 and XBox 360 where whole phrases of character dialogue audio were cut out by accident from the new ports. I've played these games (Marvel Versus CAPCOM 2, Darkstalkers Resurrection) enough times in the arcade and first home console ports to know what's missing.

The other issue is the gameplay. First-generation ports of Sega games on the Saturn played EXACTLY like the arcade despite the fact the system really was half or a quarter as powerful as the arcade hardware. Later versions of the same games sourced out to third party developers don't always "feel" like the arcade game anymore.
Even Sega didn't always get it right the second time. They did TWO ports of Daytona to the Saturn but only the first, rougher port felt like the arcade game. The second version, developed mainly to highlight the modem developed for the Saturn, was a different play experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1