• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Change Gasoline Sales Rules in Wake of Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elior1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:53 am Reply with quote
this is a good start. now they need to take care of the safely
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:10 am Reply with quote
I mean, people can always lie about what they're using it for.
bennyl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:06 am Reply with quote
Nothing feels as secure as a false sense of security.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
Next time a wacko will use a knife for mass murder. Japan will restrict the sale knives.
A wacko will use a truck to mow pedestrians. Japan will restrict the sale of trucks.
A wacko will use a LPG gas cylinder to kill people in an explosion. Japan will restrict the sale of LPG gas cylinders.
etc.

Their incompetence and lack of thought is astounding.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 am Reply with quote
Somehow it is now harder to buy gasoline in Japan after one tragedy than it is to buy a gun in the US after countless tragedies. Go figure.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
Seems like a bit of an overreaction.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Just, how exactly are they going to implement this for all self-service stations, where you just insert cash or card into a terminal and fill up?

At least here in Finland those outnumber manned stations ten to one, and even manned stations here have those terminals so no actual need to go inside and pay the cashier if you don't want to...

Let me guess, Japan is so old-fashioned there's only manned stations and no self-service?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
This won't stop it but it will help at least a little. And if it stops one idiot, there's no issue. It's also pretty harmless. This doesn't affect anyone that really needs a ton of gasoline like a someone in a job that works with it and it doesn't affect putting fuel in a car. This really doesn't inconvenience innocent people. No different than buying alcohol in the US except for the part where they ask what you're using it for.

From what I read though, their fire safety laws really need an update. Particularly regarding building design.
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
And now all of the politicians are going to pat themselves on the back for a job well-done.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
You all seem to forget that Japan still uses cash for most things, including gas stations. If the customer is using a self servicing station, and those don't usually allow cash payments, they will be registered both by their credit card, point card, etc. as well as leaving visual information in the CCTV cameras in the station.

Also, the ID checks etc. aren't there to "identify" any dangerous individuals (though maybe it could... probably not), the measure is there to deter potential criminals from buying it; it won't stop everyone, like the yakuza or whatever, but it will most likely stop someone deranged or under a fit of rage from buying it and doing something bad. This is miles better than what the US does in terms of weapons after terrible things such as Columbine, they instead switch the blame to videogames, comics, or whatever.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Somehow it is now harder to buy gasoline in Japan after one tragedy than it is to buy a gun in the US after countless tragedies. Go figure.

Emerje

Buying gasoline in japan does not have a 7 to 10 day hold for federal checks nor red flag laws that anyone that wants to spite you or conveniently disarm you, claim you looked at them wrong and your incel impulses are going to manifest into a mass shooting.
That does not equal a simple Id check and asking why you are buying a large amount of gasoline without it going into a vehicle.

That was extremely ignorant and uncalled for.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
Evaunit02berserk wrote:
Buying gasoline in japan does not have a 7 to 10 day hold for federal checks nor red flag laws that anyone that wants to spite you or conveniently disarm you, claim you looked at them wrong and your incel impulses are going to manifest into a mass shooting.

Gun access in the US is, like many things, highly variable between states and cities. Their point was more that thing where the federal government keeps doing absolutely nothing every time there appears to be a very good reason to do something. And the "meh, regulations don't work anyway" attitude in this thread shows how they get away with it.

Obviously measures like this won't work 100% of the time, but it's surprising how effective mild inconvenience and/or creating anxiety about getting caught can be on crime reduction. Most dangerous maniacs aren't big on long-term planning or determination, or intelligence. Despite what you might see in TV crime dramas, smart and capable people very rarely decide to become mass murderers. Unless institutions are in place to let them tell other people to do the dirty work.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Evaunit02berserk wrote:

Neither does buying a gun in most places in the US. Where I live, you show your ID, fill out a form, wait for an "instant" background check that takes 15-20 minutes, and then you've got a gun. The background check will only disqualify you if you have been convicted of a felony or a handful of other crimes (such as domestic abuse or marijuana ownership).

That's only for buying from a federally licensed dealer, though. Private gun sales are mostly unregulated; you're supposed to fill out a form for transfer of ownership, but practically nobody ever does.

But the point is that Japan is much more willing to enact legislation to prevent mass murder than the USA is.
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
Most private sales do have to go through an FFL and require a background check. Moreover most gun crimes are committed with guns obtained through illicit means.

I also fail to see how this legislation in particular shows "willingness to on the part of Japanese government to prevent mass murder". It's largely a symbolic gesture in a country that has already an incredibly low rate of violent crime.

Japan doesn't have much of a gun culture, and so it's much easier to pass and maintain strict regulations.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
BurgerKing-201 wrote:
I also fail to see how this legislation in particular shows "willingness to on the part of Japanese government to prevent mass murder". It's largely a symbolic gesture in a country that has already an incredibly low rate of violent crime.

It doesn't, unless the people comparing the two would be satisfied if the exact same law was passed so gun sellers had to ask their clients what they're going to use their gun for.

I remember when they banned the sale of spray-paint in Chicago back in the 90s and it did absolutely nothing to curb graffiti. It was just a token gesture by some bureaucrat so he could say he was fighting street crime and vandalism and look good for re-election. These days it's seen as a complete joke because people just buy spray paint off Amazon, and store owners and paint companies have been trying to get it overturned for years due to its inconvenience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3