• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darwin's Game (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote

Darwin's Game (TV).

Genres: Action, Mystery, Shounen
Themes: Game

Plot Summary:

Quote:
An unknowing Sudou Kaname is invited to try out a new mysterious mobile app game called Darwin's Game, but later realizes that he's in for more than he's bargained for when he finds out that there's no way to quit the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Laughing
Oh my god, this is so dumb, just like that King's game anime. Super bland main character, weird story beats like dropping the pen before filling the form out, then just handing empty form and pen. Apparently the guy in the panda mascot just on the train holding a knife, and no one noticed. I thought that perhaps a Hand Shakers thing would happen where they go to a parallel world to fight so the fights would not be noticed, but a police officer got straight up killed. Oh, and the main character not checking the app for information that apparently everyone already knows.
echen_taichi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:00 am Reply with quote
awesome 1st episode. loved it!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the CR release so I'm only up to episode 3 but this show is the type where you're really better off reading the manga because it alters a couple things. I can't tell if the alterations were timesavers at all because they just replaced the characters with other characters from the manga. I personally consider the alterations big but then again, the manga sort of jumps the shark later on.

Manga vs. Anime alterations:
spoiler[In the manga, Hamada doesn't exist. It's just the blonde medium hair dude (Kyouda?) who replaces him. Kaname is thrusted into the game without a proper explanation or time to read the manual. I don't quite understand the change of splitting Kyouda as the first episode was already 45 minutes.

The identity of the Panda dude turns out to the baseball team's supervising teacher who was cultivating student(s) for points but this isn't that important so it's a forgivable skip/change. But the whole police altercation is different and plays a slightly bigger role because there's a police subplot -- the whole investigate these mysterious deaths and square/cube human shaped holes. They end up investigating Kaname (because of his relationship with Kyouda and Panda) and eventually get involved in the Treasure Hunt event.

Additionally, the police are the ones that were watching the fight at Trinity not the Fox masked girl.]

Other than these changes so far, it's mostly faithful from the episodes I've watched but I personally think if it adapted more truly to the original story, it wouldn't be as confusing to others and maybe make Kaname's character a bit better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

In the same episode, they make a point about the main character being so awesome because he does not sacrifice anyone, but then he sacrifices an entire team of innocent police officers, calling them fodder.

I can't even.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale)

I still have no idea why people think this show is good or something, as someone who has watched so much anime, I still find it through the whole thing, kind of garbage. I can enjoy cool and dumb stuff, but I consider the vast majority of this show as just dumb. The final battle that this episode focused on, the show even said the main character's abilities were so-so, but somehow he was able to massacre entire groups of bad guys who just stood there rather than shoot him. Nothing about him at the end seems to give a good explanation how he became such an unstoppable badass. I think there was something about points he could wager, but nothing that explained how he could kill everyone, especially why he could not have done it last episode to save his friend.

The show did have some sort of time skip, where they pretty much just say that he went from an ordinary boy with his creation power, to being super powered in months that could beat people who were professional and spent years with abilities. This is along with his supposed awesome morality that everyone loved from him, that really did not seem like anything special, more of a way that some "nice guy" teenager could fantasize how they would totally be like him because they would not want to kill people. News flash, most people would not want to kill other people, this whole show feels more like a dark reflection of power fantasies that are worse than they realize.

The girlfriend character does not feel like an actual person, rather than some sort of crazy waifu ideal, who is a complete psychopath that for almost no actual reason is in love with plain toast main character. She is given some sad backstory about how she lost her parents, trying to make her look sympathetic and the audience could clamour about how deep she is. I have liked some characters before that you could call questionable in sadism, but there is nothing redeeming about the one here. And every other character is also entirely boring and uninteresting, including the little girl that has a split personality of her brother, just some additions of moe characters to pull some empathy. Theoretically there are some traits in characters I might like, but everything about it interests me in no way.

I am sure that this can look to people like I am just being a snobby elitist, such as that I don't like fun or enjoy something a bit trashy. But my favourite show this season is literally Interspecies Reviewers, and I often find things to like about shows that are bit trashy. But Darwin's Game is something I find so dang bad that among the number of death game anime I have watched, which generally can be trashy, I would certainly rank it among the bottom half. My rating is Weak (3/10), I do wish that I did something better with my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1