• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshitoki Oima's To Your Eternity Fantasy Manga Gets TV Anime in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I’ve heard some good things about the manga, so I just need to know, is the tone more leaning to the side of tragic, bittersweet or hopeful? (I got those intuitions from the synopsis and manga cover)
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I have only read about 40 chapters but I'd say tragic.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I’ve heard some good things about the manga, so I just need to know, is the tone more leaning to the side of tragic, bittersweet or hopeful? (I got those intuitions from the synopsis and manga cover)

Bittersweet, with some heapfuls of tragedy to go along with it. Even at its darkest, there's something beautiful about the world and its main character. If you ever watched Wolf's Rain, I feel it has a similar tone.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Sweeet! This is one of my favorite series coming out right now, I'm excited to see it's going to be getting even MORE love soon!

Also, going to agree with catbot on the tone. It's very good at atmosphere without feeling like it's being manipulative to me.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:48 am Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Bittersweet, with some heapfuls of tragedy to go along with it. Even at its darkest, there's something beautiful about the world and its main character. If you ever watched Wolf's Rain, I feel it has a similar tone.

Oh, boy, you have totally sold me with the Wolf's Rain reference. One of my all -time favorites for sure. Really looking forward to this now.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
Well, here's only two questions that bother me - who's gonna animate that unstoppable trainwreck of feels, and can modern NHK-E deal with the amount of pretty gory stuff that happens straight in the first episodes (like, Golden Kamuy levels)?

Because that's gonna be a wild, wild ride.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:04 am Reply with quote
Is it CG? The visual looks kinda CG to me...
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
This manga is great stuff!

The story spans entire generations so you'll get a variety of cast and stories, and there are of course the feels of knowing that one way or another you'll be saying goodbye to many you grow attached to.

I hope the show isn't CG. But I do expect that there will be heavy CG use given a lot of the action does get pretty crazy, and the time needed to traditionally animate it would be that of a feature film budget to do it well. Unless they do it with lazy stills or other cheats. But I think it'll go with CG.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure I even want to watch this in anime form.

I do think the writing is strong at the beginning with gorgeous art. Characters are mostly complex and given time to flesh out. Solid storytelling and world building. It was very immersive for me in the first half. I certainly don’t recall a manga that hooked me so emotionally in the last two decades.

Yet, in the end, I feel like the Part 1 story left me extremely conflicted and mostly unsatisfied. The problem is the tone doesn’t really stay consistent later on. So, I tend to agree that it felt like it had a Wolf’s Rain vibe for the first 50 or so chapters; but, I think it later suffers from some very annoying shounen tropes that strike discordant notes in the tone and cheapen the emotional investment the reader may have made. YMMV

In particular, I really, really did not like (Major Spoiler Alert)spoiler[the introduction and subsequent (imho) major mishandling of Fushi/Immortal’s power to resurrect people in their entirety. Especially during the climax and resolution. There are a number of reasons that are too complicated to explain, but mainly resurrection is a power that breaks a lot of suspension of disbelief if not handled judiciously; particularly, so that it doesn’t seem like a video game respawn in something that has nothing to do with video games.] I should know better when it comes to shounen, but boy did that leave a sour taste in my mouth. I honestly do not know if I am going to continue with the second part at this point.

Further, I think whoever happens to adapt this is going to have their work cut out for them. CGI is almost inevitable due to the amount of action and scale. I’m surprised it is an NHK pickup instead of Noitamina. The series is very graphic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1