Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
way to get me hyped for the new anime season
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I think some of the complaints in the review are a bit odd, but I'm glad that the overall score for the volume was at least decent. I was really hoping that you would enjoy it more though since it was really well received in Japan and from people who read the "other" English version, but it is what it is Sad . Personally I loved the volume. I thought it was really exciting and also pretty emotional. Reki Kawahara is damn good at writing action scenes and I also think he's pretty damn good at writing the more emotional ones too. I also thought the way Incarnation was used in the volume was really cool and made for some pretty awesome scenes.

Overall I thought it was a great volume that brought a solid end to the best arc so far. Hopefully Unital Ring turns out to be even better "it's been really damn good so far" but first comes Moon Cradle. I hope you all enjoy the arcs to come!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
PoU's defeat is, of course, just a secondary objective, as confronting Gabriel and getting Alice to the World-End Altar is the ultimate goal, so they must be chased down.

Story seems to allude PoU is still alive, in the real world(however unlikely that is considering the circumstances)? As his body was gone from the STL unit, thus there were only two body bags extracted when the invading side withdrew. Does the author still have plans for him?
nyocchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think PoU's (or PoH?) reveal and conclusion in Vol. 18 was a bit of a let down for me personally. I mean including the progressive novels, it feels like PoU has always been the real enemy of the cast.

I haven't delved into the new volumes since Yen Press has finally caught up. I love this series to death ever since before it was taken down on Baka-tsuki, so I've been waiting for a quality translation ever since the fan translators died out.
Pedram

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
− Hardly anyone beyond Kirito does anything major, little feels original.

I think this is a very unfair criticism,

Kirito is the Main Character of this story afterall, but he hardly ever do anything for 3 whole volume,
Finally it's time for him to shine a bit more.

Reki Kawahara paced it pretty well imo, Kirito's defeat of PoH and Gabriel was also not even half of the whole book as you said it yourself.

Moreover, the people back in Ocean Turtle did pretty major stuff as well ! any of those failing and the whole story would change. Kikouka and Higa and most importantly
spoiler[ Kayaba ] all had major roles to do.

Only Asuna and Alice didn't do anything major in UnderWorld but they already had their share of major fights and badass battle in earlier volumes.

Plus Alice had her moments in real world later and Asuna had spoiler[ the whole supporting kirito and staying with him even in if it mean being stuck until death part ]

You also seems to completely missed the whole point of the early point of the story, which is Kirito's trauma and his mental state,

As those were one of my favorite scenes and good points of the novel when I read it. but u didn't even mention anything about it.

The UnderWorld events needed to focus on Kirito and spoiler[ his mental state along with eugeo ] so there really wasn't much time to focus on alice or asuna who were already focused a lot before.

Lastly, just saying but while I agree it feels a bit unoriginal now, but Reki Kawahara write this back in around 2007 ~ early 2008, so it was better back then lol

btw, It's PoH = Prince of Hell ( Vassago is also the name of a Demon Prince from hell ) no idea how u typo the whole article as PoU Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1