• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Castlevania Animated Show's 3rd Season Previewed in Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ah yeah, that's the good stuff
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
While this looks entertaining and very well done, as a huge Castlevania fan, I feel like it's drifting further away from the aesthetic and tone of the source material. The monster design, in particular, feels off to me. Even so, I respect the passion and quality of what's being delivered.

Hopefully this encourages Konami to revive the franchise in a notable way, and not just as something living off Metroidvania nostalgia or trying to copy established action franchises (i.e. Lords of Shadow syndrome). There is a lot of game-design potential for this franchise to make it stand out from the crowd in today's market.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Hopefully this encourages Konami to revive the franchise in a notable way, and not just as something living off Metroidvania nostalgia or trying to copy established action franchises (i.e. Lords of Shadow syndrome). There is a lot of game-design potential for this franchise to make it stand out from the crowd in today's market.

Usually when Japanese companies farm out their IPs it's a sign they have zero interest in them anymore and are just trying to get some royalties and licensing money out of them. I take this shows existence as Konami being done with the franchise and having no plans for it outside anniversary collections. If some western company wants to pay them for the license to make a barely recognizable show off of it, there's no reason for them to say no.

Konami's video game division is probably a skeleton crew at this point going off how little they actually release and the quality of games like Contra: Rogue Corps. All the A-listers have probably left or been moved elsewhere. Koji Igarashi left, at the very least. Your best bet is to support him and Bloodstained if you want more Castlevania-like stuff.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This has nothing to do with Curse of Darkness, not that I am complaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1