• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Announces Love x Love Romance Imprint

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
Don't think we haven't forgotten your crimes, Stu.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
Well, maybe, just maybe, by releasing single-volume stories the fans have a teeny tiny chance of not getting their hopes dashed on the rocks of Cancelation Cove, off the coast of ScrewStuIstan. For the sake of the translators, letterers, publishing agents, etc. at least... here's hopin'. Rolling Eyes Sorry for all the vinegar but I, like many other 'old-timey' manga collectors, have too many unfinished series on my shelves thanks to the abysmal handling of this company.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
I hate that Tokyopop is making a comeback. Not too keen seeing this imprint launching as that means more titles that I’d want will be taken by them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Watch this half-baked digital magazine idea die within six months if it's not an instant hit.

That's the Stu Levy way, after all. Chase trends, exploit others, throw every dumb idea at the wall and keep only the ones you don't forget about after a month.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm always happy to see more josei and yuri in bookstores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Given the quite ample (and justifiable) amounts of salt thrown at Tokyopop as a brand, I'm honestly quite surprised they're trying to make another go at it without rebranding entirely.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky enough not to be burned by them when they suddenly went belly up back in 2011, but seeing how close I came to be burned (they released the last volume of NG life a month before their closure), I’ve been skeptic to try them out again. I bit the bullet though, and just preordered Koimonogatari (Love Stories), even though I don’t have high hopes. From their blurb, but seems they got one of the main character’s name wrong. I’m hoping it was just a mistake in their site and then they realized it by the time it went to print.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
Reborn-tokyopop appears to be more tokyopop germany expanding into english. Possibly they never realised quite how toxic their branding was in english, or possibly stu levy insisted and they figured it would be cheaper to lock him in a fancy office and humour him than to actually excise him from their structures.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing how many contemporary Tokyopop titles I would be buying if they hadn't gone with the "Tokyopop" brand... as it stands, no thank you, I'll get them if and when they fully complete a particular series.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I’m still extremely skeptical about this. I want Still Sick but I don’t wanna start getting volumes only for them to drop the licenses mid release.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
They should have sold the entire operation to their German branch of Tokyopop. Unlike their American parent, they've been in operation independently even after their parent went awol, and their operation has been solid the entire time.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
Yaoi is kind of an obsolete term in Japanese fujoshi culture, isn't it? Pretty much everything now is referred to as 'BL', so it is a little surprising to see a brand new manga imprint using it in 2020.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1