• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HBO Max Streaming Service Launches on May 27

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Definitely getting a subscription the second it comes out! There are a lot of old movies that I want to see but can't because they either don't have an official DVD release or only air on TCM on rare occasions. And add to the fact that they'll have a bunch of anime on there, that's definitely a steal! Very Happy
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Might be worth clarifying that this service is only available in the United States.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Yet another streaming service to take our money away.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
With AT&T reporting loss during the previous quarter's earnings call, who wants to guess how long will it take before they kill Crunchyroll? I'm guessing that Crunchyroll will be dead a year or two from now.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Nice take, but no.

HBO Max comes with HBO Now. You pay for one, you get both, with the ultimate plan of Max completely replacing Now down the road.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It was never realistic for consumers to expect to get every US movie and TV show commercial-free for under $10 a month, let alone a niche entertainment medium like anime for that price.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It was never realistic for consumers to expect to get every US movie and TV show commercial-free for under $10 a month, let alone a niche entertainment medium like anime for that price.

^^ This.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Might be worth clarifying that this service is only available in the United States.

Are Studio Ghibli movies available on Netflix in Canada?
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This deal marks the first time that Studio Ghibli films will stream on any platform.

They are currently streaming on Netflix everywhere else, so this part of the article should be clarified to "stream on any platform in North America".
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
JMmelegrito wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

Are Studio Ghibli movies available on Netflix in Canada?

There were three exclusions to Netflix's global Ghibli deal: the United States, Japan and Canada. The U.S. rights were already taken by HBO Max. Presumably, Ghibli has its own plans for its home market. Canada? lol ...

We're in this situation because GKIDS has ownership of the Ghibli catalogue in Canada and the United States. We weren't included in Netflix's deal as that was brokered through Wild Bunch, who didn't have the rights to sell. HBO Max isn't launching here and it's doubtful it will anytime soon. Warner sold the original programming (just the stuff they own, not acquired content) to a local broadcaster last fall and their back catalogue is split between many other companies here. A Canadian version would be a shell of what's available in the U.S.

GKIDS hasn't said anything about this.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

True, but that is not really the case anymore anyway.

Amazon Prime (watched the Tick, Man in the High Castle, The Expanse, various anime.)
Hulu (watched some movies, various anime.)
Netflix (watched Lost in Space, some movies, and some anime.)
Apple TV
Crunchyroll (watched some free anime with commercials.)
Funimation (Think it still exists)
CBS All Access (watched Star Trek: Discovery, may watch Picard.)
NBC Peacock
Disney Plus (watched the Mandalorian like everyone else.)
Cable premium channels (like HBO, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Starz, Cinemax, and On Demand.)
There are probably more, that I haven't heard of yet. And more to come.

A lot of these services have their own original programming and exclusives. A lot of people left cable for the internet to save money. But those savings are going to dwindle as the streaming industry continues to splinter. Especially as most of these services have their own "must watch" shows. Even Crunchyroll, only could watch the Saga of Tanya the Evil movie there.

As each new streaming service comes online, a form of existential dread descends upon you as you worry whether or not they will have a hit new show, that everyone but you is going to watch, and how much that subscription is going to hurt you. Hey, were all mostly adults, but you know how that goes too.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I subscribe to Netflix, Crunchyroll and Amazon Prime, and that list isn't going to expand any time soon - also, 10,000 hours of content seems a bit anemic for a streaming service wanting that kind of money. I have more than that on my home media server, and that is all content I know is good.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
Assuming HBO Max doesn't follow Netflix and Amazon and start licensing their own exclusive anime series, you don't really need HBO Max if all you want is Ghibli. You can get all the Ghibli movies pretty cheaply on Blu Ray and you can even buy it digitally too. Most of us have probably already seen these movies about a dozen times.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
HBO Max is also gonna include classic shows from Cartoon Network, along with Sesame Street and South Park, so it's going to offer more than just Ghibli and old TCM movies.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
The old TCM movies are what I am most excited about because I dropped cable and TCM. I did get the Criterion channel to replace it but more classic movies are always welcome even though what will be on there will be much more limited than what is on the actual channel.

Though having Ghibli digitally will be nice too and since I haven’t had HBO in awhile there are some of their older originals I want to watch.

I plan to get rid of Disney (which I barely ever watch) to make up for adding another streaming service and I expect HBO Max will be on the higher price end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2