• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Detour, TFcon Orlando Cancelled; Florida Supercon, WonderCon Postponed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:21 am Reply with quote
Japan has also reported about 118 recoveries, which shows progress at least.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile Sakura-Con, at one of the epicenters of the infection, stupidly insists life will go on and so will the con.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Meanwhile Sakura-Con, at one of the epicenters of the infection, stupidly insists life will go on and so will the con.

They're not being stupid, they're being greedy. I'm sure many conventions, gatherings, and what have you will value the money to be made over any kind of safety concerns. AnimeExpo is still going forth as well despite Los Angeles being in a state of emergency right now. They're probably hoping it'll all blow over by July, but many events in June are being cancelled now. I doubt AnimeExpo is so much more important than E3 or the entire NBA league.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
The College World Series was also canceled. Basically every expert has said this will last months before things go back to normal. There's no way Anime Expo can be held. I expect they'll cancel by mid April.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
TFCon had better come back to Orlando. I was looking forward to volunteering there and there has NEVER BEEN a Transformers convention here in decades. If they don't have their fall or spring 2021 shows in Orlando I'm gonna be upset.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Or… they're currently outside the time range of the government-imposed "no large gatherings" orders. If SakuraCon can't hold the event legally because of an order like that, their contracts with convention centers and hotels are null and void. If they cancel of their own accord, they're on the hook for all that money and, with no revenue from memberships, almost certainly bankrupted instantly.

As it is, whatever cons manage to go on in the first few weeks after the crisis relents are probably going to have dramatically lowered attendance. It wouldn't surprise me to see them run GoFundMe's later this year to regain their financial footing for 2021.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Some other conventions that were supposed to be this weekend or in the next few weeks have been postponed.

Colorado Anime Fest (Denver)
https://coanimefest.com/news/colorado-anime-fests-response-to-covid-19

Naka-Kon (Kansas City area)
https://naka-kon.com/article/2020-03-12/naka-kon-2020-delayed

Planet Comicon (Kansas City)
https://www.planetcomicon.com/postponement-announcement/
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Anime Boston 2020 is cancelled: https://www.animeboston.com/news/article/817
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
So How many conventions did H1N1 cancel? Anyone?... yeah didn't think so.

The media has people so riled up about what currently amounts to very little. If this becomes even half of the event they are pushing I would be surprised. I'm more worried about the extreme overreaction to push certain narratives..
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

The media has people so riled up about what currently amounts to very little. If this becomes even half of the event they are pushing I would be surprised. I'm more worried about the extreme overreaction to push certain narratives..

"push certain narratives"

Can you point to specific well-respected medical organizations and doctors who are criticizing this supposed overreaction, and why attempts to avoid situations such as what has gone on in Italy is apparently negative?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Would you rather be St. Louis, or Philadelphia?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
lol excellent point @Zalis116 H1N1 was a derivative of the spanish flu of 1918... it infected and killed more people then H1N1 did, but with H1N1 the stock market didn't spook and people weren't hoarding TP like it was gold. And you know what else your spanish flu facts leave out.. mortality and infection rates.. both are not anywhere near either H1N1 or COVID-19..

@Bonham pull your head out of the sand and look around. How many people do you know who are infected with or have died from COVID-19? Now how easy is it for you right now to go and buy bottled water? or even better yet TP?

My point is if its illegal to run into a crowded theater and yell Fire!.. then there should be repercussions on Media doing the same on a national scale.

Precautions are fine, but spreading panic and upending daily life is not.

Wash your hands, stay home if sick, life goes on.

TLDR.. it's Trumps fault... nothing to see here.. Rolling Eyes
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
@Bonham pull your head out of the sand and look around. How many people do you know who are infected with or have died from COVID-19? Now how easy is it for you right now to go and buy bottled water? or even better yet TP?

My point is if its illegal to run into a crowded theater and yell Fire!.. then there should be repercussions on Media doing the same on a national scale.

Precautions are fine, but spreading panic and upending daily life is not.

Wash your hands, stay home if sick, life goes on.

I dunno why you're telling me to "pull my out of the sand" when you don't even know what I'm specifically referring to, so you can stop that nonsense right there.

Of course a lot of the media will go for sensationalism to drum up apocalyptic scenarios, just as segments of the media will downplay the seriousness (both potential and already realized) of the pandemic. And regardless of sensationalism by the media, people will respond poorly by hoarding in response to *any* classification of a virus becoming a pandemic and governments issuing a state of emergency. Precautions also aren't just limited to "wash hands, stay home if you're sick." Entire large scale events and sports have been suspended or cancelled because of the reality that this can spread very easily and without notice. Classes have been entirely online across the country. Public gatherings in general are being discouraged, and understandably so.

You emphasize mortality rates, but the fact of the matter is that social distancing is what helps flatten the curve to avoid a collateral effect of not only infecting a lot of people, but also to not overwhelm hospitals from being able to take care of *other* patients where those without the Coronavirus. It's to avoid the shit that has happened in Italy.

This is about an entire domino effect of things, and taking the steps needed to *avoid* the worst-case scenarios.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
It was mentioned in a different article I think, but Pokémon Go's St. Louis Safari Zone event the weekend of the 26th is postponed indefinitely and April's event in Philadelphia is also likely on the chop block. Liverpool's event in May is anyone's guess. Also, EX Raid invites are no longer being sent out.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Or… they're currently outside the time range of the government-imposed "no large gatherings" orders. If SakuraCon can't hold the event legally because of an order like that, their contracts with convention centers and hotels are null and void. If they cancel of their own accord, they're on the hook for all that money and, with no revenue from memberships, almost certainly bankrupted instantly.

The Anime Boston organizers mentioned this specifically in their public statement. Massachusetts Governor Baker has restricted public gatherings to 250 indefinitely. They also mentioned the contract situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2