• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Anime Confirms 2nd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
I dont know where exactly but i read a source somewhere that this was originally 2 cour, so im not surprised it got a second cour.

Overall this show might appeal to hardcore fans of madoka magica but i will be blunt it is not as great as the original at least from what has been shown so far but it is decent enough.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
It was pretty clear halfway through this was not gonna wrap up neatly in 13, so no surprise there. Hope this second half delivers.

(...here I am getting my hopes up...)
ILOVEITToo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Trash. It is much worse than the main show

I hope season 2 is better
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
We already knew for a while that it was a 2 cours so i was expecting a date to be announced after the last episode but i guess it's still to soon to say knowing that all the productions are slowed down with the current global issue.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
I dont know where exactly but i read a source somewhere that this was originally 2 cour, so im not surprised it got a second cour.

I saw it in a tweet from one of the A.I.R News guys back in December (which I guess was a leak because that tweet has since been deleted) and there were rumors that it would be split-cour because of concerns over SHAFT's production issues in recent years along with the home video solicitations that came out in January listing less episodes so this pretty much confirms it.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I was watching the "final episode" on TV yesterday and I almost wanted to break my television because they spoiler[pulled Sayaka out of nowhere] and ended with what is essentially a cliffhanger.

Good news this is getting a proper continuation to explain everything, but even with a full story, I doubt this is going to be any more than a 7/10 in my books because of how horrendously paced the first season was.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
There are many Winter shows I would have loved to get a second season announcement

This was on the far bottom of my list
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree that this season was poor, not because it was "bad", but because it's all mostly just intro, setup, and build up to the turning point, and it's impossible not to compare to the original series, which... the standards there are cieling high.
As I'd played the game, I'll just say this: The second half is much more eventful than the first half, so if the lack of things actually happening bothered you, you can look forward to that. Beyond that, the directing in this show could've gone much better and I don't necessarily foresee the second half's events automatically fixing this problem. I do like that InuCurry is so heavily involved because it's really important the style of the show is consistent and the ones behind the writing are way better off if they're already one of the biggest insiders of the original... but InuCurry are no Urobuchi. That much is very clear.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:54 am Reply with quote
MasterGhost wrote:
Good news this is getting a proper continuation to explain everything, but even with a full story, I doubt this is going to be any more than a 7/10 in my books because of how horrendously paced the first season was.

As stated above, its getting a second season was all but inevitable, barring the first season completely bombing. But what I really want to know is the definition of "bad pacing," because I've seen that criticism thrown at just about everything, never with any explanation. Seems like that's just what people say when something doesn't excite them and they can't say why.

The constant complaining about it not being as good as the original show is getting tiresome, as well. Like I keep saying, it's in no way attempting to be the same type of story, and even if it was doing that, a spinoff ("side story" is right there in the title) of a groundbreaking series cannot re-break the same ground. It's building something different on that foundation. Maybe you don't like what it's constructing; that's fine. Having impossibly high expectations may have been your real issue, though.

Anyway my point is that I'm frustrated with how 90% of the posts about this show are generic bashing, with the few people who don't hate it being completely ignored, so I guess this is another one for the "watch but don't read people's opinions, at least not on ANN" pile. Lotta stuff in there these days.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 am Reply with quote
I like how the "side story" is longer than the "original story" (including the movie at this point) Anime smile
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to see this news as the first season still had questions that needed answers. Things have also started to get more complicated in the plot, so I’m anticipating to see what will happen in the 2nd season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1