• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyodo News: Prime Minister Abe to Declare State of Emergency in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Start strict and overreacted versus a wait and see thing is always the best strategy, especilly in the context of something that can be transmitted asymptomaically. Surely they could have looked around the western world for reasons why you should star strict and overreactive.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Finally. Now we should see most theater releases delayed indefinitely, for the safety of fans.
Zangor17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what this means for anime productions that are current and going forward. I know some shows like My Next Life as a Vileness wrapped production before they aired. I'd imagine SAO is similar since it's not supposed to air until late April and was planned as a split cour from before War of Underworld started. But other shows might not have that luxury. Will they be delayed or will exceptions be made with extra safety precautions for at least the current season to run?
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
does this whole situation not make anyone extremely mad and want to scream? Like that much can be asked if no xenophobic racial remarks, but everything has been making me mad.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it does, but screaming profanities will not help to stop this situation. We have o stay home and safe as much as possible and trust our governments to deal with the situation right. I know the latter is not easy, especially if your government is incompetent, still denies the severity of the disease, goes against medical experts' recommandations and refuses to help areas lead by their political opponents, but even in that situation you have to stay strong and trust that at least your local government is doing what they can even if the federal government is totally useless in the current situation.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Yeah, it does, but screaming profanities will not help to stop this situation. We have o stay home and safe as much as possible and trust our governments to deal with the situation right. I know the latter is not easy, especially if your government is incompetent, still denies the severity of the disease, goes against medical experts' recommandations and refuses to help areas lead by their political opponents, but even in that situation you have to stay strong and trust that at least your local government is doing what they can even if the federal government is totally useless in the current situation.

like we know how this started even if we don't like to admit it. It's a question of IF this gets resolved, what will we do to prevent something like it happening again
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:23 am Reply with quote
I was talking to my friend who lives in Japan a couple weeks ago and he was talking how no one in Japan was really taking corona seriously and that Americans were overreacting. They were all still going out to drink and eat all the time and doing fine. Guess that might end up changing now
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:12 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I was talking to my friend who lives in Japan a couple weeks ago and he was talking how no one in Japan was really taking corona seriously and that Americans were overreacting. They were all still going out to drink and eat all the time and doing fine. Guess that might end up changing now

Americans overreacting man I wish I live in Texas here in the DFW area people are still going out and going to parties. People here don’t give a crap about the whole situation and don’t forget what happened in Florida with those idiot spring break kid.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:36 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
It's a question of IF this gets resolved, what will we do to prevent something like it happening again

It will get resolved. Not gonna be a fun experience, but it's not the end of civilization. The human race has made it through many crises far worse than this one. It is, however, bad enough that it's hard to imagine we won't do what's necessary to keep it from happening again; the rich and powerful don't care about much, but they care a great deal about economic stability, and this whole situation is real bad for that. The important thing right now is to deal with the "getting through it" part.

As for people not taking it seriously... well, this is the part of the movie where dramatic irony comes knocking. Though, if we're lucky, not on a large scale.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 am Reply with quote
About time Japan take extra measures for its own people.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 am Reply with quote
This is baaaaad. Animators already weren't making money, and now the entire industry's about to come to a grinding halt (manga should be ok). Add this on top of delaying the Olympics and Comiket, and Japan''s economy could be crippled.
Chii85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
Will they continue to do animation and voice acting at home?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Yeah, it does, but screaming profanities will not help to stop this situation. We have o stay home and safe as much as possible and trust our governments to deal with the situation right. I know the latter is not easy, especially if your government is incompetent, still denies the severity of the disease, goes against medical experts' recommendations and refuses to help areas lead by their political opponents, but even in that situation you have to stay strong and trust that at least your local government is doing what they can even if the federal government is totally useless in the current situation.

Bravo! Very well said!

It's about time a state of emergency was declared. And yes, it's going to affect the manga/anime industry, but it wouldn't do for anyone to catch the virus and lose them. I can live without anime, but I couldn't bear to see a mangaka, anime director, animator or seiyuu dead due to Japan's at times nonsensical work ethic.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 am Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Will they continue to do animation and voice acting at home?

That would depend a lot on if they are set up to do that. I doubt many animators have the means to do so, and recording quality is bound to suffer if the actor is recording at home without good equipment or something resembling a recording booth. Getting those things would also be a big expenditure, whether its the employees or the company paying for it and budgets tend to run tight as is. My guess is that many studios will have no choice but to put projects on hold and I wouldn't be surprised if subsequent seasonal shows are pushed back beyond their planned start dates.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
My guess is that many studios will have no choice but to put projects on hold and I wouldn't be surprised if subsequent seasonal shows are pushed back beyond their planned start dates.

I expect we'll have a large number of shows in the pipeline pushed back. Most of the productions for the Winter cour were substantially finished before C19 started to hit, and aside from a few glaring examples (like Re:Zero s2), Spring appears to be mostly finished as well. But shows that were scheduled to be in production right now (primarily Summer and Fall) will clearly be affected.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing a few shows in the current (Spring 2020) season have production issues and delayed episodes later in the cour, but Summer is when we'll start to see a large number of delays announced. But hopefully nothing will get cancelled out right.

Patience. Its an annoyance, but they'll come to us eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4