• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chinese Platforms Remove Animal Crossing: New Horizons Game After Protest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
China drops the ban hammer on. video game because one person used it for an unintended purpose. Are they afraid of impressionable youth visiting someone's island and seeing protest paraphernalia?

It really doesn't surprise me that China would have such an idiotic kneejerk reaction like this. People love to whine about America being some capitalist dystopia, but I am one million percent happy not to liv somewhere like China.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Man the more stuff I hear about china the more terrifying it sounds for its citizens.
There needs to be some sort of positive change in their society and I hope they manage to do so.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
How funny would it be that Animal Crossing would bring about the fall of Chinese communism.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess we could get China to ban all multi-player games if we get one player to use it for a protest and then post it on Twitter.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves wrote:
China drops the ban hammer on. video game because one person used it for an unintended purpose. Are they afraid of impressionable youth visiting someone's island and seeing protest paraphernalia?

It really doesn't surprise me that China would have such an idiotic kneejerk reaction like this. People love to whine about America being some capitalist dystopia, but I am one million percent happy not to liv somewhere like China.

We're talking about a brutal communist dictatorship here. If you disagree with the CCP and their totalitarian regime, you're persecuted or - even worse - killed. And you wonder why so many Chinese people are immigrating to other countries? Not only that, but it's also one of the reasons why we had those violent pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong last year.

On a side note, if you're wanting to read about what Japan is doing as a result of China being so dishonest about COVID-19, here's a good starting point.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/japan-to-fund-firms-to-shift-production-out-of-china
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually I don’t know why would they associate those two things together.

On Chinese streaming websites, you can still live-stream Animal Crossing without problems, and you can post all then Animal crossing pics you want on Chinese social media too; that won’t happen if the government drops ban hammer. In fact, some e-commerce in China even said afterwards they will put back the game “after certain time”. Some guesses are due to COVID, the prices are driving too high on secondary market (or grey market as the article stated), and some mainland consumers aren’t happy and report those e-merchants to the National Consumer Organization, as fear of being investigated, now e-merchants decide to remove the merchandise for a while.

I know the protest and this happen almost simultaneously but this game isn’t banned at all, so political reason doesn’t sound as convincing as commercial ones (of course if your existing belief involved Chinese is the root of all evil, I am not stopping you).

Even the article itself is unsure of the reasons but I guess some would just post without reading it
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
course if your existing belief involved Chinese is the root of all evil, I am not stopping you

The present-day Chinese government could very well be the root of all evil. The Chinese people, on the other hand, don't deserve the dystopian hellscape their country has become.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
course if your existing belief involved Chinese is the root of all evil, I am not stopping you

The present-day Chinese government could very well be the root of all evil. The Chinese people, on the other hand, don't deserve the dystopian hellscape their country has become.

It's not the root of all evil but the CCP is the 4th Reich in all but name.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Multiplayer connectivity for games such as Animal Crossing: New Horizons is only available in China through platforms on the "grey market."

So when the headline reads "Chinese Platforms Remove Animal Crossing," it's talking about these "grey market" platforms? On reading the headline, I thought it meant the game was being made entirely unavailable in China.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Aki_Leaves wrote:

I think it's more of a "this is why we can't have nice things" sort of thing with them pointing the finger at this guy so that he looks like the bad guy. Like they are trying to turn the protestors against each other.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Aki_Leaves wrote:

I think it's more of a "this is why we can't have nice things" sort of thing with them pointing the finger at this guy so that he looks like the bad guy. Like they are trying to turn the protestors against each other.

Hope it doesn't work. Everyone should be allowed a voice. Many like to disagree in saying how many shouldn't due to their cruel beliefs. However, there is always good things from freedom of speech. Speaking what we enjoy, what we feel, like. I just hope that they understand what the Chinese government is trying to do by how making the protests looked like this.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Aki_Leaves wrote:

Frankly, if I have not lived in China before and know a few things about their internet culture, I would have buy that conspiracy theory, but since I do, I would know that netizens from both mainland and Hong Kong aren't that simple-minded as you projected.

Also you are also underestimating how hostile the netizens in those two areas against each other. In fact, by simply speaking Madnarin in Hong Kong would get myself discriminated or attacked, happened to my family and friends, and many others.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 am Reply with quote
geez, china has such thin skin lmao.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
We're talking about a brutal communist dictatorship here. If you disagree with the CCP and their totalitarian regime, you're persecuted or - even worse - killed. And you wonder why so many Chinese people are immigrating to other countries? Not only that, but it's also one of the reasons why we had those violent pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong last year.

On a side note, if you're wanting to read about what Japan is doing as a result of China being so dishonest about COVID-19, here's a good starting point.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/japan-to-fund-firms-to-shift-production-out-of-china

And we better not talk about how Chinese government is trying to silence Taiwan in international politics, which was especially evident in early stage of the coronavirus situation, when Taiwan was first to inform about this only to be totally ignored by WHO, who is under too big influence of China for it to be actually useful in this current situation. And if that is not bad enough, now China is threatening actions against any country who accepted help from Taiwan. Call me naïve if you want, but I still believe if WHO did their job instead of sucking up to China and ignoring Taiwan, we may not be in this current situation of a worldwide pandemic.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:03 am Reply with quote
The CCP cracking down on political dissent is indeed a problem, no doubts, but for goodness sake PLEASE stop using a game for political purposes, especially when kids are playing the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2