• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RWBY Manga Ends in Shonen Jump+ App in June

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I never got into the various incarnations of the manga, but I've been impressed at how much the RWBY production team have grown in storytelling and animation skill. The battles have always been the best part of the series, but the story-telling has been catching up to the point that one can appreciate RWBY for the story, and not just the pretty pictures.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I never got into the various incarnations of the manga, but I've been impressed at how much the RWBY production team have grown in storytelling and animation skill. The battles have always been the best part of the series, but the story-telling has been catching up to the point that one can appreciate RWBY for the story, and not just the pretty pictures.

Eh I stopped watching after season 3. Once Monty Oum passed away the series lost a lot of magic and changed way too much with the new staff. Haven't seen the recent stuff but I didn't like the new direction it went.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:08 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:

As someone who has been routinely watching RWBY since V4 (I started after V3 ended so I had to backtrack a bit), I couldn't disagree more.

The story has grown in scale, yes, but I'd argue that it's gotten worse at points because this team don't know what story they are really trying to tell. There's a season they hired two extra writers for V7 spoiler[(and even that barely helped)].

The battles have been lackluster since V4, with the two best ones only being highlighted because CRWBY remembered Sun's weapons were awesome spoiler[(even though the animator for that scene left the company not too long ago)], and the other fight using assets Monty had left behind. spoiler[And lets not even get started on the Haven battle in V5.]

That's not even going into the wonky animation at times. Yes the move from Poser to Maya may look better, but it still has its own share of problems. RWBY is still a series that's mostly worth it for the fights, but even those have been fleeting since Monty's passing.

For me, it's a shame to see this manga go because it's gotten more excited than the actual show has in quite sometime. Despite going through the same story beats (with some things being cut out for one reason or another) the characters feel much more defined and are actually consistent in how they act; ESPECIALLY Ruby herself.
toprak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
Would anyone tell me that it is worth or not?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1