• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume: 2020 (First Half)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't know if any manga has ever gotten this big this fast. Like, in the entire history of manga.

One Piece was this big a decade ago, at least if you go by peak sales of individual volumes. But even in 2008, before the Strong World boost, volume 50 sold 1,678,208 copies -- and it took till 2011 to get to volume 61 selling 3,382,588 copies. Demon Slayer... it wasn't even on the volume chart for 2018, then last year it peaked at 926,446, and then it just... kept blowing up?

I mean, from what I've heard, manga reading has become more volume-focused over the decades and less magazine-focused, so you can't really do apples-to-apples comparisons with Saint Seiya or whatever. But wow.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
talk about domination...
NisaRF

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
I witnessed that "boom' weeks by weeks on ORICON Chart. KNY it's a seriously astounding phenomenon.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
Man these are humongous numbers, makes me wonder if Jump regrets letting Kimetsu end just when it got popular.

I doubt their just gonna let the momentum end so I’m curious if we’ll get more spin-offs like with the upcoming Rengoku manga.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I honestly don't know if any manga has ever gotten this big this fast. Like, in the entire history of manga.

One Piece was this big a decade ago, at least if you go by peak sales of individual volumes. But even in 2008, before the Strong World boost, volume 50 sold 1,678,208 copies -- and it took till 2011 to get to volume 61 selling 3,382,588 copies. Demon Slayer... it wasn't even on the volume chart for 2018, then last year it peaked at 926,446, and then it just... kept blowing up?

I mean, from what I've heard, manga reading has become more volume-focused over the decades and less magazine-focused, so you can't really do apples-to-apples comparisons with Saint Seiya or whatever. But wow.

I haven't seen anything like this before either. When Attack on Titan got an anime and blew up, it was nothing like this. Nor was One Piece, as you pointed out.

I'm not big on Demon Slayer's art, but maybe I should finally check it out Razz
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
What's remarkable with Kimetsu no Yaiba is it was ongoing for several years, with normal numbers, BEFORE it blew up(or perhaps exploded is better at describing it...). Has any other manga accomplished that feat? Even One Piece was more gradual...
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The crazy part is that the sales just keep going.

We've seen explosive anime boosts before. Kuroko no Basuke was a series that sold 160-180k after 2 weeks pre-anime (early 2012), then by the end of that year, it managed to hit low 500k after 2 weeks. From there, its 2 week sales level fluctuated between mid 400-high 500k, so it effectively plateaued. Tripling (or slightly over tripling) sales is still a pretty good boost, but the series still had a normal 1/x looking curve, if I have the right function. Bulk of the sales up front, then the sales per week quickly dropping off.

Kimetsu no Yaiba on the other hand... let's see, the vol released in April 2019 (right as the anime started) sold 159k after 2 weeks. For the Kuroko example, I went to the end of the year, so let's fast forward to the vol released in Dec 2019, which sold ~1,038k after 2 weeks. Close to 7 times, so that's a damn impressive boost. Nutty in its own right, even. But no, the true zaniness is in how the weeks since, all of the volumes are still selling mid 5 digits to low 100k week after week after week. Even in late April, there were still 100k people deciding 'let's just go buy some KnY'.
And the cumulative totals are all fairly consistent. As of the week of May 11-17, vol 1 had lifetime sales of 3.1 million, while vol 19 had 2.8 million. It doesn't look like buyers are noticably dropping the series.

So, while I do like the series, it's probably fair to point out that KnY's the beneficiary of a perfect storm. It's a solid series of a genre/demographic combination that typically has one of, if not the, broadest appeal. The anime adaptation was an amazing job by the studio. The quality over time graph for the series generally goes upward (so the anime covered what was basically the roughest part of the series). Said adaptation was late enough in the series/the series was relatively short enough such that the end was in sight (remember, when the anime started, we were already several months into the last arc) and that the predicted total investment needed for the series isn't off-putting (relative to some other predecessors in the genre).
Unlike some people though, I don't say that to slight the croc's work. I enjoyed the series. I can see how plenty of people can also find it enjoying. The odd part to me would be the remarks by some other mangaka about how KnY did a great job bringing in new people to the world of manga reading. But that's more a function of me being already into this hobby enough that I can't remember what it was like outside of this world Razz (but seriously, great job by Gotouge-sensei on that part)
SWED

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

This is not true. One Piece in 2011 when it exploded had all volumes sold above 3 million over that year.
Volume #63 was released in august 4 in JP and it sold 3,073m copies within 3 months and 3 weeks.
Thats faster than Demon Slayer 18, wich sold 3,035m copies in 5 months and 2 weeks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1