• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: High School Student Crowdfunds Legal Fees to Sue Over Game Ordinance

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least he isn't making bomb threats.
Drunk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
Is there something I don't get? Why do they seek damages for guidelines that aren't enforced? Especially if the mother isn't applying these rules, as she is on her son's side.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:52 am Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
Is there something I don't get? Why do they seek damages for guidelines that aren't enforced? Especially if the mother isn't applying these rules, as she is on her son's side.

Maybe it creates a kind of social pressure to enforce them though? Like, it makes that the social norm and whoever doesn't go with these guidelines will be ostracized?
That's the only explanation I can think of. Changing the status quo or fearing a slippery slope where eventually this will be enforced. Or how that will lead to social stigma or something.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
What a world where you can sue people simply for suggesting you don't let your kid play video games on a school day until 4am.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:

Japan is more like China in regards of social conduct than Western countries. Their society is more group focused when ours is more focused on the individual, I don't think I explained it right, in my language I could wright it properly... Not that their way is bad or anything.
Maybe the father agrees with the ordinance perhaps? Or they see this has a precedent, that can pave the way to worst and harsher laws in the future, which has happened before.
simona.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:19 am Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Or they see this has a precedent, that can pave the way to worst and harsher laws in the future, which has happened before.

that's the point, methinks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1