• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season's' Video Previews Tropical Island Setting

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
As expected, its tying into the Paradise War novels.

Kenshin is a few more years older.

Interesting to note that Ryo Ohki and especially Sasami are now adults. The latter is fully integrated into Tsunami as you can see by her forehead markings. I think though she is still slightly physically younger than Ryoko and Ayeka.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
And that's wonderful. Still the most exciting thing happening in my anime life this year AND GOOD GRIEF, Alea Varta's hair is still one of the most abysmal character designs I've ever seen. I can't wait for September (CR release).

Hopefully this time I won't be taking two hours to watch the episode a minute at a time while I stop to research everything on screen, since I basically understand who everyone is and what's going on now.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
So help me out cause i am confused here.

Are they adapting the Paradise War saga ?

Or are they making like a prequel that is setting up the events of that saga?

If it's the later it could mean we will probably seen an adaptation of that story after this ova.

If we are just jumping into it this will make it all the more confusing for western fans.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:38 am Reply with quote
Was that a grown-up Sasami, adult-sized Ryo-Ohki, and D from Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures I saw? I'm still not having high hopes for Kajishima's OVA in general, but admit that I'm still intrigued enough just by those little tidbits.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure "Alea Varta" is supposed to be "Alea Balta" - she is representing the Balta Gulld. Or did they decide to completely change tho localization and they're "Varta" now?

Since it is portrayed loosely as "Tenchi on Banjo Island" I don't think the intention is so much to adapt Paradise War as it is to tie it in. I don't believe the core Tenchi cast have a single thing to do with the story after all. And Seina and his cabbit crew are all supposed to be in disguise in the story. I could be wrong (I have yet to investigate it much).

It looks more like a half-way point story or after the events tale?

---
I'm a little more confused about the apparent lack of Seina (or Minamida) in the clip.

in the second episode Tenchi and Seina's designs started to overlap a little but I don't think he was there. The shorthand is that Tenchi has his rat-ttail and Seina has his permanently affixed bandage.

Maybe this portrays some point where Seina had to go off into space and Tenchi and crew are filling in for a bit? Also missing are Kiroko's group and the Renza girls. Or, for that matter, any of Seto's staff either.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the romanizations are always all over the place in news articles about this series. Even the Crunchyroll subs flipped from "Jobia" in episode 1 to "Jovia" in episode 2.

pachy_boy wrote:
Was that a grown-up Sasami, adult-sized Ryo-Ohki, and D from Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures I saw? I'm still not having high hopes for Kajishima's OVA in general, but admit that I'm still intrigued enough just by those little tidbits.

Apparently every major character from Dual (which was ancient history to the Tenchi OVA timeline) exists now as one or multiple reincarnations, or echoes of some sort or other, caused by the end of Dual propagating the characters through reality (I'm sure this could be worded better). D here is a cabbit with a human form. There's an explanation here by eff_efferson, but be aware that it spoils OVA 5 through episode 2, if you haven't been able to watch it on Crunchyroll. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1846036
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of missing characters (as I was) I was looking at the cast list and had to rewatch to confirm...
With such a HUGE cast it's kinda easy to miss but did you notice the missing core person in both of the first two episodes?
Mentioned in passing at one point, but Katsuhito/Yosho is nowhere to be found.
There's even a conspicuous Yosho sized hole in the group picture in the credits. It looks like he SHOULD be there where Seto's legs should be... but he isn't...and hers aren't.
He's supposed to be a key member in Kenshi's training but apparently spending time at Jurai, maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
So they're now mixing in characters from Paradise War on the series, I see? Only know of the series from reading up on its premise per Astronerdboy's gathering of info on it from years earlier. But still, taking a hard pass on this OVA since it looks like it's still dabbling quite heavily into the supplementary materials just like the 4th OVA series, which will make me a bit lost with the many characters I'll be unfamiliar with beyond those properly explored in the anime or that I read about from the True Tenchi Muyo LNs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
It was weird enough seeing teenage Sasami let alone now jumping ahead to adult Sasami. I feel like they're rushing through the timeline to get us up to speed to the harem ending. I also spotted adult Ryo-ohki in the preview.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I recently found a somewhat recent Kajishima doujin that was just a long set of character profiles with a feature illustration that mostly varied from usual designs. It featured the "16yo" Sasami that was featured in episode 2 and explained how she would be totally integrated with Tsunami by 18 (and as explained earlier- could be referred to as either).

But it's not really as if any of them will age much more, They age to an ideal state and stay there.

The most interesting illustration is Tokimi:spoiler[ It doesn't say at what point it happens but eventually Washu and Tsunami convince Tokimi to "descend" to their dimension as a human as they have and her illustration is neither her godly or Chibi forms but a tough looking human figure denoting her status as a fighter.]

Another design choice I found interesting was, I guess, Mihoshi. As they are arriving on the ship she can be seen next to Washu... doesn't she look strangely younger (and smaller) than normal? Not a usual dress sense either. I guess it's just a case of the slightly odd character designs in this iteration. The Kuramatsus all look extremely like each other but there's usually some variation, but in this case the hair is all exactly Mihoshi. And while Misao and Mashishu or even Nakita and Mitoto could have more children- they'd be younger than Kenshi.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Re: that Tokimi illustration, in that case I'd kind of expect Kajishima to sooner or later spoiler[do his usual thing and pair her up with some guy, like happened with this ancient character: https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Masaki_Jurai ].

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like they're rushing through the timeline to get us up to speed to the harem ending.

OH I SURE HOPE SO Smile As I commented on the OVA 4 review article, "Much as I'm enjoying OVA 5, I am very pessimistic about the possibility of more Tenchi anime afterward (barring the miracle TV reboot most people want), so I want it to cover the story as far into the future as possible. Razz"
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Re: that Tokimi illustration, in that case I'd kind of expect Kajishima to sooner or later spoiler[do his usual thing and pair her up with some guy, like happened with this ancient character: https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Masaki_Jurai ]

Masaki is a bit different in many ways... Tokimi though..spoiler[. Considering who the sisters like I don't think she'd be any different. Tenchhi gets the set! (That's a guess, not fact)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1