• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime NebrasKon 2020 Canceled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:20 am Reply with quote
Good. Should've been canceled months ago tho. We knew this wasn' going to get any better
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:48 am Reply with quote
It is hard to imagine anyone silly enough or self destructive enough to go to a live convention in the current circumstances. Then I look at the news with photos of beaches and parties and realize there are a lot of "challenged" people out there.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Good. Should've been canceled months ago tho. We knew this wasn't going to get any better

I don't disagree, and as someone who happens to hold a high-level position with the convention, I can say that the decision was made some time ago. It just took awhile to get everything sorted out with the venue contracts and the individual convention departments' policies before the announcement could be put together.

Back in February/March, I certainly hoped that things could improve by the fall, but those hopes rested on the assumption that we lived in a sane country with responsible citizenry and competent leadership. Guess I'm 0 for 3 there. For instance, Kumoricon in Portland OR was scheduled for the same weekend as NebrasKon, but announced its cancellation 2 weeks ago
Quote:
in light of Oregon Governor Kate Brown's statement that large events will "likely still not be safe" by the end of 2020.

Meanwhile, Nebraska governor Pete Ricketts is out there going after cities that try to impose local mask mandates.

And what we've learned about the virus over the past several months definitely hasn't helped -- that it's basically an STD without the "S" component, in the way that the infected can pass for the uninfected and be most contagious right before symptoms appear. I have to think that even in countries where the outbreak is relatively controlled, fan conventions won't be all that safe until a vaccine or cheap/effective therapeutic drug is available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1