• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo's SPJA Changes Status to 501(c)(3) Charitable, Educational Organization

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Otakon had already been using this form. It's a total tax scam and an abuse of the 501(c) rules, but they did get approval. I still think it's immoral.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Otakon had already been using this form. It's a total tax scam and an abuse of the 501(c) rules, but they did get approval. I still think it's immoral.

Many conventions do, not just Otakon. Anime Boston, Anime Central, Katsucon, Sakura-Con are just those that come to mind right away, and I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Why do you say it's a scam, abuse, immoral, etc.? Bottom line is that they do have an educational component, and the convention doesn't have any specific person who is its "owner" and who makes money off of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:06 pm Reply with quote
lol so Anime Expo dropped the same charitable category as the NFL? Wonder what caused them to do that..

CorneredAngel wrote:
Why do you say it's a scam, abuse, immoral, etc.? Bottom line is that they do have an educational component, and the convention doesn't have any specific person who is its "owner" and who makes money off of it.

Coming from someone who routinely ponies up large amounts of cash at convention 'charity' (using the term loosely here) auctions, I welcome the change. I never wanted to drop a lot of money at AX simply because as it was a 510(c)(6), I couldn't take it off on my taxes as a deduction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1